Best Of Wii Thread

Need to buy good quality/fun Wii Games. I may be a failure at the Internet, but I could not find a good thread here for several great Wii titles. I would appreciate any advise as to what to get for the Wii.

This is a well-titled thread. There have been some “recommend me some Wii games” threads, but those always sound really personal, and are recommendations for one person’s tastes. “Best of Wii Thread” is actually a good idea I think.

Let me be the one add:
Super Mario Galaxy
Geometry Wars Galaxies (especially if you don’t have a 360 and don’t have access to GW 2)

Virtual Console:
Mario 64

Zack and Wiki is good, it’s an adventure puzzler from Capcom that uses the Wii remote nicely. Lots of collectables to find and tough levels in the later half of the game.

[GameTrailers review]

Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
No More Heroes
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Ghost Squad
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Wii Sports
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Boom Blox
Mario Kart Wii
MLB Power Pros
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
Zack & Wiki
Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection

WiiWare
LostWinds
Mega Man 9
Final Fantasy: My Life as a King

…and probably a bunch of stuff on Virtual Console if you aren’t that familiar with NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/TG-16/Neo Geo games.

Mercury Meltdown Revolution

lets keep the list to those games that are really the “best of” I think a number of Dave’s games just aren’t up to that l level. No More Heroes? Interesting game play - but hardly a “don’t miss” game imh. The rest of those that are listed I’d agree with or haven’t played and have no comment but No More Heroes? amusing game play with the wiimote between silly/boring mini game tasks… picking up scraps of paper, coconuts, etc…

Personal faves:

Elebits
Excite Truck
Boom Blox

Boom Blox, Super Mario Galaxy, and Wii Sports. Wii Sports and Boom Blox are enough for any party, and Super Mario Galaxy was enough for me to not totally regret buying the Wii.

Super Mario Galaxy has been my favorite purchase so far, but then my wii library is fairly limited right now.

agreed. I would call Super Mario Galaxy a masterpiece that ranks up there with the best of Mario and other Nintendo franchises. Sure, more multi-player would have been nice, but with unrivaled wii graphics, best musical score in years, and actually genre advancing gameplay, its hard to beat. Plus the game is huge. Its just fun sometimes to boot it up and visit some of your fav levels.

Mario Galaxy puts Sunshine to shame.

I agree but for some reason I just wanted more. It is the best Mario game since 64, but I’m not sure it’s better. That said a amazing wii game, and great music and graphics.

That said Zack & Wiki is short but fun and cute and you can pick it up for $9.99!!

Hey all, figured this necro might be less intrusive than a new thread - I am now the proud owner of a Wii, bought from a friend for the price of a couple beers. Just curious if anyone had any burning suggestions for stuff I should try? All the other suggestion threads I could find seemed to be asking for games for a 4 or 8 year old girl, and I’m curious about what my old ass should try out. Beyond the first party stuff like Mario Galaxy, Zelda something something, that sort of thing. The game that looks most interesting to me is Endless Ocean: Blue World. Looks relaxing and fun in a kind of casual exploration kind of way. Just curious if there are any other hidden gems worth looking into?

Endless Ocean is good, in a “this is not a game at all” way.
Most of the above recommendations are still valid.

Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty universally liked if you have any interest in JRPGs at all.

Little King’s Story is interesting, but may be hard to find noawadays.

Pikmin 1/2

Help me out here - looks like this one is going for about $100 on Amazon, but will also be available soon re-released on 3DS. Or is that a different game entirely?

Forgot about Pikmin, it’s going on the list. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I forgot that the prices went crazy.

The 3DS one is Xenoblade Chronicles X, which is a sequel rather than a re-release.

Nope. The Wii U game is Xenoblade Chronicles X, while the New 3DS version (won’t work on the older hardware, since it uses the improved processor in the new one) is a remake of the Wii game.

I’ll drop some Wii recommendations once I’m at home so I can look at my library.

My absolute favorite Wii game was Excite Truck. Most fun I’ve had with an arcade racer since Hydro Thunder on the Dreamcast.

Boom Blox was also fun, as was Mario Galaxy (obvious). Super Paper Mario was odd and annoying.

“Lightgun” games were fun to play with the boys, Ghost Squad and the House of the Dead re-release. House of the Dead Overkill was cool but has a constant stream of profanity from the characters, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Yeah, I’m interested in light gun games. So far, I’m definitely looking to pick up House of the Dead and Dead Space: Extraction, both look good. Additionally, Ware Ware: Smooth Moves if I can find it used cheap, and the aforementioned Endless Ocean. If I can locate a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and the Metroid Prime collection, those too. Mario Galaxy looks to be pretty easy to get, as do the Pikmins, though they have gotten expensive. And that’s where I am at the moment.

I really enjoy Dokapon Kingdom (sort of a board game rpg game), Harvest Moon Animal Parade, Rune Factory Frontier and if you like silly but fun MP mini games, Rayman Rabbids.