Best (or favorite) Music Movies?

And, maybe the best of them all…

The Blues Brothers

Tony

No idea if it holds up but I watched Eddie and the Cruisers so many times back in high school.

Moulin Rouge
Across the Universe

I’m going to kinda cheat and pick a movie that is not a musical, every number is shot like it’s a live show - and music is the thing that holds everything together.

and in the same vein:

I’d argue that most musicals aren’t about music, even if the appeal of them is their music. There’s exceptions of course.

I just used Streets Of Fire in the 5 Element game thread, and even the person who guessed correctly hasn’t actually seen it. Nice to know someone out there likes it.

A couple years ago I met a young man who was trying to make Diane Lane movies his “thing” and he hadn’t heard of Streets of Fire. Go back to hipster school!

Well, c’mon, it’s no Under the Tuscan Sun!

Getting a little off topic but if you like that style check out A Futile and Stupid Gesture

Generally, I try to not to be a dick if someone doesn’t know [insert thing I love here], and I will be all “oh have you a treat ahead of you”, but in that particular case, they’ve earned their slap.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World! Music almost all written by Beck and Metric - the movie with the highest stakes battle of the band I can think of - win or be reduced to a pile of quarters!

Oh yeah, it was super huge if you’re roughly 46-49. Fishbelly Willem Dafoe? Butterfly knife? Super 80s.

What do people think of Frank?

Ooh! Good call! I love Frank.

I don’t know that Frank was good, but it was interesting!

Oh! Yeah, I loved Frank!

Purple Rain, obviously. Was it a great movie? Not at all. Was the music great? Oh yeah.

Outside of that, I really like the documentaries about the unsung heroes, like Muscle Shoals.

Has A Mighty Wind been mentioned yet?

How about “It Might Get Loud!”

That’s a really excellent one if you like blues rock and/or Page, White, and the Edge at all.

Diego

I was kind of thinking non-documentaries when I made the thread to be honest. There’s almost a separate discussion to have around them.