Best place to buy digital movies?

So, I was chatting with my brother last night, and the topic of buying digital movis came up. I’ve always been pretty opposed to the idea, based on the lack of drm-free options. I switched to buying music only online a decade or more ago, as I could just download the mp3s and back them up, no matter where I bought them. But the movie industry has resisted that, and I’ve always resisted the idea of being tied to a single platform or storefront for watching them, figuring eventaully the industry would cave. But that doesnt seem to be happening, and my resolve is weakening.

So what are the options? I primarily watch stuff through my XSX, so something with an app on there is best. The xbox store itself seems like a bad idea, as again, much too locked down.

I guess Amazon? A disappointment, but I guess it’s ubiquitous at this point.

I found VUDU, but they seem more expnsive than the others, for the same damn thing.

Apple is right out. I kind of despise them, have never given them a dime, and I’m not going to start now.

I see theres a Movies Anywhere kind of tie-together service for all of these, but it is missing a bunch of publishers, so is kind of gimped?

This whole thing is just annoying.

I still buy a lot of physical media but for the occasional digital copy I go to where it either solely exists or has the best price. For example I recently purchased Galavant on Amazon because the digital version has subtitles but the DVD doesn’t. I also recently bought Hot Fuzz on Google because it was on sale.

Yeah, thats kind of what I’m getting at. I’d have to remember where I bought everything, and damn thats annoying. Just let me download and have a library and use VLC and be done with it. Meh.

This is why I still buy physical media usually.

I use Vudu. I haven’t seen them be more expensive than anyone else. They do sales all the time. I’ve found their video quality to generally be better than anyone else, and their apps aren’t hot garbage like Amazon’s.

Realistically your only option for something like the MP3 situation is buying physical and ripping the DVDs/BluRays. Movies Anywhere is supposed to be pretty decent for an “official” option, but it’s not available here so I can’t comment, and it’s certainly not as simple as MP3s. I don’t buy that many digital movies myself, but when I do I tend to do it wherever has the highest resolution version cheapest.

Movies Anywhere is losing studios too which is bullshit. I had all my digital movies there and now half of them are gone. Vudu is decent, because it has the Walmart bux behind it. Tbh Amazon is probably the best bet, they aren’t going anywhere.

Buy physical discs and redeem codes! The recent bomb cyclone that leveled Cape Cod has left me without power or internet for 4 days now. I’ve been watching lots of blu rays on the ps5 since streaming is not an option. (the Tesla power wall bought me 3 days of power but there has been zero sun to charge it during the day so that’s dead now too)

Yeah this is the best. From my experience the codes are usually Vudu as well.

Vudu was actually sold off to Fandango. Walmart is no longer involved. That’s a bit of a bummer because they use to give you an option to buy physical versions of movies from the app with immediate digital redemption, and frequently the bluray copy would be on sale or clearance price.

I always buy through Google. Every device has the YouTube app.

I’ve had no issues with buying on YouTube either.

Ripping dvd/bluray and hosting on Plex is a solution but it’s a lot of work.