Best podcast app?

So, assuming that my problem is with DoggCatcher (I’ll try re-installing and re-downloading all the casts tonight and see if it fixes it), I guess I’ll give the beyondpod demo a try. But it sounds like they’re all pretty much feature-equivalent. All I really want is the ability to download or stream, to easily resume a podcast, and to auto-download when on WiFi only. And widget to play / pause. I assume they can all pretty much do that?

Yes! I forgot about that.

I remember being angry but as I wrote the words above I was thinking ‘I got mad about that? Why?’.

Now I am angry all over again! Wheee!

I’m actually pretty happy with the new Apple Podcast app, after they tweaked the first release’s performance issues.

Damn, that sounds similar to but better than Beyondpod. I use points 9, 7, 4, and 1. I don’t listen to video podcasts or want to increase speed, so 2 & 3 don’t apply. 8 is missing, 6 is there, but sounds like it’s more limited than iCatcher, and I’m not sure about 5.

Podkicker on Google Play is simple, straightforward, and lets you stream or download. Paid version includes automatic dl’ing. It’s seriously good and easy.

Figured I’d update on this. Switching podcast apps didn’t solve it. Poking around the internet, it appears that this, or something like it, is a problem with some S3’s, but I can’t tell if it’s rare, common but most people don’t notice it, or what.

In my case, it seems to only happen during podcasts, and not music (streaming or on sd card) or phone calls. But I don’t know if that’s actually the case, or if I just don’t notice it with the music, because its louder and there’s less silence in general. Also, it only happens sometimes, or sometimes takes a while to kick in.

So, it seems like it’s a bit of a problem with the hardware, so I may have to look at my warranty (i’m outside of the no-questions-asked return phase), but I may just live with it. It’s annoying sometimes, but it’s minor enough that it might not be worth the hassle, especially if there’s a chance my exchange has the same issue.

tl;dr:
Probably a hardware issue, not doggcatcher’s fault.

Hey, turns out Pocket Casts has added the feature I’ve wanted the most since I first installed it, namely the ability to search episode descriptions. On Android the update is only available in beta, despite launching publicly 4 months ago on iOS. And I’m not sold on the overall UI overhaul, but man this is going to make finding old QT3 Movie episodes easier.

Does the apple podcast app still cap each show at 150 or 300 episodes?

I like BeyondPod on android.

Yes, it is limited to 300 (I think) because it uses an RSS feed.There are some apps that don’t limit it, but they aren’t using RSS feeds either. So if you care about this, find a player that doesn’t use RSS, but they might cost you. (Marco Arment mentioned this on a podcast recently, I believe that was the reason.)

I think it’s Squarespace he said that clips the RSS feed at a certain number.

I started to read this article, but it’s not a simple answer.

I use libsyn, and they don’t have an RSS limit, or at least we haven’t reached it yet at like 360 some episodes. Apple’s app is special. If you were to go on to other podcasting apps, you could listen from the first episode. Also apple’s app requires you do fudge around with your metadata extra hard, and they get picky about descriptions with links etc. I really dislike that app.

I use the excellent Overcast (iOS, not sure about anywhere else) and I know it can review all 572 episodes of the Giant Bombcast, even a few earlier episodes that uses that same RSS feed from before they settled on the name “Giant Bombcast”.

Overcast is definitely the best app, but I’m not OK with subscribing to apps so I use Pocket Casts which is also excellent.

I don’t know then. I have used a few podcast players where I can’t see all the episodes and I have never used the Apple podcasts. Never cared though.

Overcast isn’t subscription unless you upload files to his servers.

You can use it, but it shows ads unless you pay.

I really like Castro, which focuses on Inbox by Gmail-style curation of many podcasts, while matching most of Overcast’s features. Has a much better CarPlay experience too.

The thing I want is a great cross-platform podcast streaming service, though. I really want to pick up podcasts seamlessly between my phone, my stereo, and my laptop. It really feels like most podcast apps are pretty silo-ed to a single platform, though.

That’s where pocket casts comes in! Its android and iOS apps are both fantastic, and it offers a desktop webapp as well.

https://play.pocketcasts.com/web/podcasts

I don’t know what your stereo runs, but you can chromecast or airplay a podcast from your phone, or if you have Sonos that works with pocket casts also.

And as of a few days ago, they have an Alexa skill.