Best QT3 Thread of 2013 Award?

I thought it might be fun to list our favorite threads of the year (from any category).

Rule - Try NOT to select one that you started; but I could see people liking a subject that they started so it is not a hard rule.

Could also be a way to revive a thread or two that is worthwhile (so link them if you can)!

My favorite thread is actually a type or category.

I like reading the Monthly Book threads for ideas and the discussions even though I do not often participate.

Example: Dec Book Thread

Doesn’t matter when it was started, when it will end, or any other such petty concerns.

The only thread that truly matters: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?45410-All-good-demons-go-to-um-sequel-Diablo-3-Announced

I know this is sad, but for me it has to be The bargain thread.

It gets me to take a look at games I wasn’t even aware of, saves me money, and sometimes gets me to go find the full thread on a game to talk about it.

Yeah, the Bargain thread is a good one. I actually want to give my vote to the Giveaway Thread. While sometimes people just raw-post codes and that’s a shame, by and large I feel like it has been a very giving and generous community of folks with extra games they want to make sure find a good home for. Very cool.

Usually my favorite threads in the past at Qt3 have been either:

1. Controversial game threads or
  2. Bargain Thread.

A good example of controversial threads in years past have been the Resident Evil 5 thread, the Elemental thread (some of the best written and well reasoned posts ever written at Qt3 are still in that thread) and a number of other threads that either feature really great back and forth discussion or that inform me about topics I knew very little about.

I remember back in 2012 my favorite thread turned out to be the bargain thread. Not for the bargains, mind you, I can get those at CAG or slickdeals too. No, the bargain thread, for some reason, is the closest thing we have to a general purpose thread for discussion of older games. When a game comes out, there’s some great discussion over the game’s various aspects for a while, and then people are done with the game. Then people trickle in one at a time when they are late to the party, post their own impressions, but it usually doesn’t re-ignite a discussion. The other place people try to discussion going is the game of the month threads, but those almost never lead to a single interesting discussion. People just list what they played and move on: list threads have got to be the most boring threads when it’s just a one way information dump like that. Worse, usually it’s not even an info dump, it’s just a list without additional info.

But the bargain thread is different for some reason. There must be something about that thread that makes people willing to reengage with old game debates and what aspects they liked, and which parts of the game design worked for some but not others. Bargain thread 2012 was a great example of this, if my memory is serving me correctly.

But 2013 wasn’t a great year for the Bargain thread. This year my nominee for the best thread in the games forum comes from an unexpected place. I’m sorry I can’t remember the exact name, but it was a thread about backlogs and not having enough time. That’s a subject that’s been retread so many times here at Qt3 that I didn’t think anything new or interesting could come out of it. But I was so wrong. The subject really struck a chord this time, and there were a LOT of great posts by people in that thread.

EDIT: Found it: Do you ever just stare at your game library and wonder what the hell you should play. Like I said, it doesn’t seem like it would be great, but it turned into my favorite thread of 2013.

I missed the Oblivion and Skyrim spam-alike threads of yesteryear.

Wait, no I don’t.

The animated gif thread and image thread in Everything Else never fail to make my day a little better. So just for the simple goofy pleasure of it all, I’d have to pick either of those.

-Tom

For sure! They’re guaranteed visits from me every day, and I love them. The bargain thread (reasons obvious) and the Hobbit film thread (which gives me almost endless chances to get my Tolkien geek on) are other favorites. Heck, just a few days ago I made a post about the heredity of elven hair color. Can you get geekier than that? If so, I’ll probably manage it soon enough.

Was elemental materials this year or last year?

I was most excited to see threads pop up about games I really liked: One Finger Death Punch to the FACE, and my shooter and brawler threads. I generally like the serene pace of QT3 these days, but for some threads I crave more replies!

Clearly the bargain thread is the best of all time, OF ALL TIME. There is no debate! =) I do wish more folks had participated in Secret Santa tho…

My suggestons for most under rated threads:

And if I can pimp my own creation:

Another vote for the Bargain Thread. It’s pretty fucking amazing.

I visit daily for the Bargain Thread. Bargins all day long.

The bargain thread can also be called the spend more money than I need to thread! :D

That is its beauty and its curse.

The thread that makes me excited when I see new posts to it is the Recommend me a board game? thread. It probably has to do with the fact that it’s not constantly being updated, like the Bargain thread, but gets posted to at a tantalizingly inconsistent pace.

I read the bargain thread way more than is good for my wallet, but as far as favorites go, I’d probably go with the interesting pictures thread. Always pretty impressive stuff in there.

This doesn’t count, but a shout-out to those who frequent the Hardware and Technical subforum. Anytime I have a hardware/software non-gaming question, the regulars there usually have the answer, and within minutes. Often product suggestions too. And posting my questions there saves me from having to venture out into the wilds of the internet to find the answers.

The Hardware subforum is the only place I visit regularly besides the Games forum, and it is excellent, I agree. If anything I wish more people posted in it. We need more posts in the Hardware subforum! :)

I only found out about it this year, and it sounded like a good idea until Fire scared me away when she suggested that I tell my wife I’d be taking part in it. Aaaaaaahhh! I never looked back at that thread after that.

I’ve only just managed to get my wife used to the idea that I can occasionally play games sometimes (after 3 years of marriage), and it doesn’t affect the rest of our lives since I don’t do it in front of her or to the determent to anything else in our lives. The concept that I tell her I post on a message board where people talk about games is … a really advanced concept that it will take me years to work towards. Maybe in 20 years?