Best Registry Cleaner

Registry cleaners have nothing to do with disabling startup items. They are separate tasks.

By the way, don’t disable startup items that come with windows either. It’s a lot of work to save a little RAM and memory is ridiculously cheap.

The best registry cleaner is no registry cleaner. You will get literally no benefits from “cleaning” your registry, but endless unintended consequences if you do. Things you might not expect right now, like a Windows Service Pack encountering weird issues when you try to install it.

Just don’t do it. Friends don’t let friends use registry cleaners.

Thanks for all the input.

I’ve been getting blue screens, but I half suspect it could be from the NVIDIA drivers as well. I’ll probably look into ccleaner if I can’t resolve it from an applications end.

I’m was thinking about using the cleaner anyway because I imagine all those unused/unnecessary keys could do with removing - but with all the talk I’m a little apprehensive.

I’ve used CCleaner for about 4 years now, on multiple PC’s(desktops+laptops). I’ve never had an issue with it, and have even on occasion used the registry cleaner part of it(mostly after doing fresh reinstalls of OS+lots of updates+lots of software installs etc).

On a weekly basis simply running the non-registry cleaner of CCleaner just clears up junk that clutters up your temp folders and browser clutter as well. I have no problem using it like i would use an AV or malware scanner.

If your issue is related to your Nvidia drivers, you could try running the handy Driver Sweeper utility to ensure you clear out any conflicting video driver issues:

There is nothing wrong with running a registry cleaner as long as you review the suggestions and prune accordingly. There are so many programs that fail to fully uninstall.

Nothing wrong with != useful

I suppose I shouldn’t delete files those uninstalls leave behind either, because drive space is cheap.

Well played, sir.

I tried installing that because it sounded really neat but got the message, “Something on your computer prevents Soluto from being installed”. OK, great, I’ll fix that right up and then … heeeey!

I get the error message from my workplace when I try to reinstall - “You have better things to do with your time”.

Thanks! This sounds neat and something I should do. I’ll get on it after I let CCleaner delete these 413 entries…

413 items? SMH

Enjoy diagnosing weird problems months from now that you have no idea how they got there.

You should definitely use driversweeper, particularly if you switch from ATI to nvidia. They leave all kinds of cruft running after uninstall. Great program.

I did this after driver problems and it helped me fo sho.

Well, CCleaner says I don’t need them… and I’ve backed the registry up just in case.

CCLeaner works pretty well.

If you just want something to enable or disable stuff from running on startup, Autoruns is the program you want.

If you think your drivers are breaking your PC, run and hide under your bed. Crying is optional, lube is not.

In the era of the SSD, this is no longer the case for some folks. Then again, up until a month ago, I was juggling Windows 7-64 around a 25GB partition, so I may have an over-inflated perspective on the worth of drive space in this day and age.

I never have to do anything with my SSD except for using the built-in Windows disk cleanup tools. Registry entries are extremely tiny, taking up practically no space, and CCleaner doesn’t magically know what every single key does and whether it’s safe to remove them or not.

Plus, you never know when some obscure registry key will be seemingly unused forever, only to be screwed over when a service pack installer ends up requiring it and gives you all sorts of weird errors.

Wait, what? Oh - I see what you did there.

:P