Best Sci-Fi movies 1980 onwards...(ok 1979)

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don’t bother with The Non-Director’s Directors Cut. Maybe if you are curious at some point in time, but if you want the real director’s cut, you have to watch The Final Cut, which completely overrides the so-called Director’s Cut.

And watch the original theatrical version (I’m conflicted whether that should be watched first or second). It isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as The Final Cut, but the more ambiguous nature of Ford’s character is superior in some ways to the more definitive answering that of the the other versions.

NOOOOOO!

Watch the SUPER Director Director’s Cut! It’s coming out next year and includes 25 minutes of Ridley Scott discussing lower back pains during crucial scenes!

NOOOOOOO!

“Retire” Ridley before he makes The Real Final Cut, or Prometheus meets Blade Runner, or…

Skip Blade Runner and watch it’s superior (quasi) spiritual sequel: Prometheus.

Yeah, it stretches the definition, but maybe in the same kind of way as Rudy Rucker’s transrealist SF. A borderline case, to be sure.

Speaking of which, Linklater’s A Scanner Darkly is worth a look - though it’s a noble failure, really.

Prometheus was trying to spiritual?

How does one spiritual?

Just raise your arms and ascend?

All I’m getting are weird looks.

God knows what you do at night. He ain’t givin’ you a hand up after THAT. It’s bad enough you wear the Catwoman mask…but to involve house pets?

I THOUGHT I BURNED THOSE PHOTOS OH GOD NO

Aw shucks. I haven’t seen it in 30 years, but it made a hell of an impression on me. I could see how the hayseed robot wouldn’t play well past puberty.

Speaking of wacky and/or adorable robots, has anyone seen Short Circuit, SC2, or *batteries not included lately? Would they belong on a list of Best Sci Fi movies since 1979?

Don’t forget the awesome theme song.

I did re-watch it a few years ago and it isn’t terrible. In some ways it reminds me of a slightly updated Forbidden Planet or another weird, lost pilot for Star Trek.

Here’s a few I saw back in the day, some of them in cinemas even. I’d recommend all of them. Apologies if they’ve been mentioned.

The Hidden (1987)
Hardware(1990)
Screamers(1995)

Screamers really feels like a Philip K. Dick adaption, moreso than it more famous brethren I think. I love the Shakespeare bit.

The Hidden was a real diamond in the rough, went in expecting nothing and got a really neat movie in return.

Hardware is a British post-apoc Terminator clone with a young Dylan McDermott as well as Iggy Pop, Lemmy and Carl McCoy from Fields of the Nephilim.

Based on my recent rewatch of the extended editions on Blu-ray, I’ve decided Alien 3 is a better movie than Aliens. Please update your ledgers.

I’ve always loved Alien3. It’s much more of a Fincher film then an Alien film though.

I got a big kick from Brainscan when I was younger.

I just did.

Entry #2347: Brad Grenz has no taste.

;)