Best Sci-Fi movies 1980 onwards...(ok 1979)

I just like movies with good writing that look nice. Compared to Alien and Alien 3, Aliens is an deeply ugly movie to look at with terrible dialog and cartoonish characters.

Entry #2348. Brad Grenz needs to take a script writing class someday.

Top Ten Science Fiction movies of all time by Cinefix. It’s a nice list. One entry (Metropolis) is older than 1979 so it doesn’t fit into this thread. But the rest of the movies considered and chosen are newer than 1979. Another one that’s older than 1979 is Planet of the Apes, and #1 is also older than 1979.

The one 1979 entry that is there is one I haven’t heard of before: Stalker. I need to track that movie down somehow.

Interesting list, and a bunch of movies I really like on it. Especially happy with the presence of The Prestige, which is an oddly overlooked Nolan film, and I agree with the listmakers that it’s probably his best. That’s a movie that very effectively got under my skin and left me thinking about it long after it ended.

Her and Snowpiercer do not belong on that list, even though I like both of them. I still haven’t seen Contact, but other than that all the rest are worthy nominees, even if not all of them would be on my personal top ten.

I also liked their approach of trying to come up with a diversity of science fiction ideas explored by different movies, different buckets to put all the movies in, and then finding the best out of each bucket.

I hadn’t seen Metropolis footage before, and the footage seen in that movie from the 20s is really impressive, even today.

[quote=“Rock8man, post:84, topic:71212, full:true”]The one 1979 entry that is there is one I haven’t heard of before: Stalker. I need to track that movie down somehow.
[/quote]

Stalker is fantastic (one of my favorite movies), but definitely and acquired taste. Much more powerful (and bearable) in a big screen. On a small screen the pace can feel glacial at times.

That’s Tarkovsky for you. If you can cope with Solaris, Stalker will be fine.

I liked the remake of Solaris (and I may be the only person to put those words in that combination) but I’ve never seen the original.

I do prefer Stalker. Solaris tries to tackle too many things at once, while Stalker is more focused (some might say even to a fault).

Plus, Stalker’s final minutes are heart wrenching.

I kind of prefer Solaris, but I was just talking about the pacing.

Oh yeah, all Tarkovsky is very similar on that regard.

Screenrant had a couple of lists that popped up on my feed recently.

That was last week, and that’s the first time I’d heard about Attack the Block from 2011, which I tracked down, which turned out to be a great movie. I still need to watch Annihilation, Predestination and Snowpiercer from that list. I don’t know why Prometheus is on that list. Qt3 had already convinced me never to watch that.

This list showed up this week:

Again, it starts with a movie I’ve never heard of. A Boy and His Dog. My Hoopla app shows that my library has the movie, so I borrowed it. Hopefully I can find the time to watch it tonight. It’s always exciting to discover new science fiction movies you’ve never heard of.

The others on this list I’ve never heard of are “The Box” (2009), and “In Time” (2011). Both sound really interesting.

EDIT: 2nd Link Fixed

I also think it’s a great movie, but I don’t consider it science fiction.

Haven’t seen this one yet, because I wanted to wait until after I finished the Southern Reach books. I’ve done that, so I should probably get on this one.

You didn’t hear that from me; I like Prometheus.

I would be curious to hear your impressions. This is an odd little movie. Based on a Harlan Ellison story, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have seen it myself.

These are not good movies. But I would never suggest not seeing them, you should make up your own mind about them.

Concur that these are mostly crap movies. they did get #1 right however.

Movies which belong on the list:

The Martian
Get Out
Moon
Passengers
Ex Machina (#1 on their list)
Donnie Darko
Edge of Tomorrow
Gravity
Children of Men
Cloverfield

Rolling Stone is a bit better:

I just realized that the second link didn’t post correctly for the 2nd list. I corrected it now. They’re both relatively poor lists overall, but at least it lead me to several movies I haven’t seen yet.

Your list, I like all those movies, but I’ve already seen all of them. :P

Edit: Hey nice, that Rolling Stone list starts off with a movie I haven’t seen (The One I Love). That’s a good sign.

To be fair, neither of those (original) lists purport to be an enumeration of the BEST sci-fi movies… rather they are saying that out of the fairly large pool of under-performing sci-fi films that you’ve possibly never heard of, these are worth your time.

From that Rolling Stone list, I need to watch:

40 - The One I love (2014)
39 - Another Earth (2011)
37 - Girl with all the gifts (2016)
32 - 2046 (2004)
31 - Monsters (2010)
25 - Primer (2004) - Last time I tried watching this, it was a bunch of guys discussing something at a table, and I couldn’t hear what they were saying. Need to try again with more patience this time.
21 - Midnight Special (2016)
20 - The Host (2006)
17 - A Scanner Darkly (2006) - I might have seen this, or I might have abandoned it partway through, I can’t remember
16 - Snowpiercer (2013)
3 - Under the Skin (2013)

My wife and I did not like Snowpiercer. It was a while ago, but I remember we liked the setup but it turned into one big action slugfest.

Totally. The photography also gave it some TV movie quality, I thought.

And girl with all the gifts is sci-fi? uh, @marquac? I guess Sci-Fi is the Roguelike of movie genres.