Best Serial Killer novels

Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal… of course. Thomas Harris.

Dark Eye - William Bernhardt. A wacko who kills young girls in the style of Edgar Allen Poe. Nasty.

The Bone Collector - Jeffery Deaver.

Kiss the Girls - James Patterson. And others by him.

Help me add to my Deviant reading list!

The Poet - Michael Connelly. Most of Connelly’s work is more in the noir vein, but this is a gripping, fantastically well written serial killer novel. One of my favorite "genre’ writers…has a real way with words.

Killer On The Road - Jame Ellroy.

I liked The Alienist by Caleb Carr.

The Killer Inside Me – Jim Thompson

Hannibal is awful.

Red Dragon was the best of Harris’ work.

Seriously.

Actually, I read the two just a few weeks apart and it was really difficult for me to believe that it’s the same author.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. Very funny, told from the killer’s perspective.

Gav

American Psycho is good if you want a side of social commentary with your murders.

We have a winner!

Agreed. Great book. Where else can you read about a guy hooking some chick’s tits to jumper cables while he walks around the house with her friend’s head on his prick?

As madkevin points out, this is the one.

Hannibal reads like Harris was intentionally trying to kill off the Lecter franchise. Which seems possible, too, because I remember reading an interview with him where he did nothing but bitch about all the pressure that was being put on him to finish Hannibal so the movie could be made. Yeah, must be tough to have publishers and movie studios paying you tens of millions of dollars for a book…

IMO, The Killer Inside Me is one of the best American novels ever written. Lou Ford is the most authentic sociopath ever featured in a work of fiction. Scary part is, Thompson writes the character so well from the first person that you can’t help but root for him at times. And the way he played with people, making them uncomfortable with that insipid small talk. Man, what a great book. Been meaning to read it again for the past year or so.

By Reason of Insanity by Shane Stevens.

Agreed. Great book. Where else can you read about a guy hooking some chick’s tits to jumper cables while he walks around the house with her friend’s head on his prick?[/quote]
One of the great books in modern American literature. I try to read it once a year. The movie didn’t do it any justice whatsoever!

Ah! That would explain why Harris is currently writing a “Young Hannibal” book that is already scheduled to be turned into a movie :)

David wiltse wrote some interesting ones, may be hard to find now.

Let me add Deviant Ways by Chris Mooney. Not only is the killer sick and twisted, he likes to use cameras and bombs on the crime scenes.

[/quote]

Hey, the checks must be clearing, so why the hell not?

But hasn’t this whole Hannibal Lecter fetish played out? Both Hannibal the book and Hannibal the movie were horrible, Red Dragon was incredibly dull, and Silence is now well over a decade old.