Best Star Trek Series

Because I am watching it now and I am utterly convinced the universe revolves around me, why else?

Well I am a few episodes into season 3 of Enterprise and I have have to admit I am enjoying it a bit more. To be fair though, I am unsure if the show has improved or if I am now just desensitized to the suck.

I liked Enterprise. I think a big part of it failing stemmed from the channel it was on.

TNG is the best series though.

I totally agree Brian, clearly anyone who doesn’t think Voyager is the best series deserves a smack!

He was Chakotay, right? I remember reading an interview with him when the series was in the last year. He was pretty down on it. 7 of 9 had basically replaced him as the secondary character on the show and left him feeling marginalized. He also thought that the borg “technomagic” stuff made the writers lazy. Something along the lines of every episode had a crisis, but it was always solved by Janeway ordering 7 to, if I remember it right, “re-route power from the Scooby-Dooby to the Flooma-Flooma.” So yeah, not the experience he had hoped for.

Also, didn’t his character have that face tattoo that looks like it inspired Mike Tyson?

“Enterprise” was merely okay: mostly bland with the occasional standout (like the Mirror Universe episode) or true stinker. I’m watching the third season on Netflix now; and so far it’s a better “Voyager” than “Voyager”…not that that’s a particularly high bar to cross or anything.

My main complaints against “Enterprise” stem from the fact it largely retreads familiar ground, like reheated leftovers. In theory, a “retro” Trek series where they don’t have all the goodies of the TNG era - replicators, universal translators, holodecks, etc. - should open up new stories (or at least mandate new solutions); in practice, though, the stories are all pretty familiar. Combine with a fairly bland crew and it makes for a lukewarm series.

Like Tin Wisdom, I do like the development of the secondary alien races; and the notion of the Vulcans being secretive, manipulative dickbags still makes me chuckle. So it’s a pity there are only two aliens on the Enterprise crew. Actually, come to think of it, like Babylon 5, maybe the main problem is the aliens are just much more interesting than the humans; I wish the focus had been on the former rather than the latter.

I don’t think that theme was written for the show. I think someone just liked it and chose it for the series.

Per wiki…

The series’ theme song, “Where My Heart Will Take Me”, written by Diane Warren and sung by Russell Watson, was a marked contrast to the sweeping instrumental themes used in all other Star Trek series. It was also the first theme song in Star Trek history not originally written for the show in which it was used; it was originally the theme song to the movie Patch Adams (where it was sung by Rod Stewart and originally entitled “Faith of the Heart”).[28][29]

In light of your appreciation of Voyager, I’m guessing the latter.

So I thught I’ts high time I watch one of these star trek shows. I saw the original with Kirk and Spock when I was a kid, and some of the movies, but none of the new shows. Started watching TNG and here are my impressions after 5 minutes:

1. There are 2 black bars on both sides of the screen. WTF?
  2. CGI is crap but I guess this was made before video cards were invented.

I could live with these 2 issues but then
3. A wizard appears wearing Henry VII style clothes, speaking Hollywood medieval English and doing magic tricks.

So I stopped it and came here to ask if I should bother to go on.

Heh, the first season of TNG is batshit insane, and doesn’t really get good until the final few episodes. Hell, you could likely skip most of 'em and be okay.

Season 2 is where they start to find their footing a bit, but it’s still batshit crazy. Season 3…ah the beauty of season 3. It’s worth plugging through just to get to season 3.

I grew up watching TNG and mostly because of that (and Patrick Stewart) it remains my favorite.

I will say though… lately I’ve been binging on shows at night and Enterprise is among them. The 1st season is pretty rocky with some pretty bad episodes, the 2nd season gets better, but I think it really turns around in the 3rd season when they really put an overarching plot in place and introduce some cool new aliens.

Not sure if trolling.

While I like Picard I am no real fan of any other character in TNG. And I never understood Q.

Q isn’t meant to be understood. He’s like a cat in human form with both ADHD and unlimited cosmic power.

Well, I’m closing in on finishing season 3 or Enterprise and I have to admit that the back half of that season is pretty good. Still it’s hard to recommend given the volume of crap you need to wade through to get there. If season 4 ends up being good it might be worth it, otherwise…meh.

Enterprise Season 4 is one of the best seasons of Star Trek ever (except the terrible series finale, which was written by Berman instead of the season 4 show runner).

I’m about half way through Enterprise season 4 and I would certainly consider it worth watching at this point. Certainly it’s not as good as TNG or DS9 and is definitely not in the same league as the sci-fi masterpiece that is Voyager, but on balance I would say Enterprise is probably worth watching.

I just finished Season 4 of Enterprise the other night and man, those mirror universe episodes were great! Obviously it would get old if every week you had all your characters be cliche, evil psychopaths, but those episodes were a lot of fun. I especially loved the intro with the alternate “First Contact”. :)

Dig this. Back in '88 some guys broke onto the set of TNG and recorded their time spent touring the various stages and messing with the props. They got over 30 minutes of footage before someone found them. At the start you can see the prop from the first season episode of “Conspiracy” which is reminder of how awful seasons 1 and 2 were.

http://youtu.be/lzcWmRT-nc8