Best Star Trek Series

Yeah, it’s a shame they later castrated the Borg and made them a fucking joke. At first they were fucking SCARY.

Exactly. The first time I saw the Borg I was drawn in by their complete alien-ness. That was a woah moment. Then there was the episode with the cute, friendly Borg dude. Blech.

The Borg are one of those big bads that suffer from being fleshed out.

Followed swiftly by the Borg Queen, then Seven of Nine, then the Unicomplex. They really boned up the Borg over time.

Exactly, like the Angels on Doctor Who, they fell victim to overuse, ruining their mystery and scariness and making them just…meh…

Now I want to play Star Trek Attack Wing this weekend…

Goodness these posts since the thread bump have been depressing. I decided to IMDB both Kesand T’Pol, both actresses seem to have hit their career heights during their Star Trek runs.

You guys also ruined the awesomeness I remember of the Borg. At this point I am thinking of them as companion cubes in space. :(

The TPol actress faired better, though. She married the CEO of Live Nation. She’s set for life.

Meanwhile, in Kentucky…

The Borg were their scariest when they were a metaphor for nature. They were going to fuck you up, and they didn’t give a shit about anything, including fucking you up. You couldn’t reason with them. They didn’t care if they died. You were simply in their way. They got completely neutered with iBorg.

Completely agree. They were like the Shivans in FreeSpace.

They weren’t anything like the Shivans. The Borg assimilate. Shivans exterminate (if they even notice you at all). The Borg tell you exactly what they’re after. The motives of Shivans are maddeningly inscrutable.

What the Borg are like, are their distant ancestors the Cybermen.

The Borg had the same problem as the Terminator franchise: they have a simple, effective plot hook, but the more they try to flesh out the Borg / Terminators, the more they water down what made them interesting antagonists in the first place.

At least with Doctor Who, you know everything is tongue-in-cheek; the silliness is half the fun.

Yeah, they tried to explain too much. And they didn’t have to. Or at least slap the guy who came up with the Borg Queen. A pure collective would not have a leader. The Borg are all cells in a giant brain. It’s a hivemind. You fucked up dude.

Of course they needed a single antagonist to focus on. I’ll bet that was a bean counter.

Bean Counter: So who is the bad guy in this story?

Writer: The whole Borg collective.

BC: What, what? No. Can’t do that. Gotta have a bad guy. Put in a king… No, here it is! A queen! A hot chick! Everyone loves to hate an evil hot chick. Get on it.

I’m willing to bet that’s almost verbatim.

Rewatching Voyager and in Season 4 episode 12 Neelix dies for 18 hours and then 7 of 9 brings him back to life…So close. Damn you 7 of 9, we were so close!

Species 8742 were cool. I was watched the war vs the Borg earlier. Probably one of the more powerful sci-fi races on screen, militarily anyway. That planet killer of theirs was a good 'un.

By the way, if you’re a TOS fan and you haven’t watched Star Trek Continues yet, a treat awaits. It’s the only fan-produced Trek I’ve seen that isn’t painful to watch, and in fact, it’s the opposite. Some good stories, cinematography and sets are straight out of the original, and Vic Mignona’s Kirk is great. The closing two-parter is a really nice bridge between TOS and ST:TMP.

I didn’t know about that. Bookmarked. Thanks.

Star Trek Continues really is brilliant, and has impressive production values and professionalism for what it is

Also reread the thread and loved seeing all the B5 love! :)