Best Star Trek Series

Boo, I voted for DS9 apparently, but I hadn’t seen Voyager yet, which wins for me.

Again, I am finding myself agreeing with you, and this has to stop. ;)

Are you on crack?

…possibly. I can’t quite say it without a twinge of shame, but there you have it.

Kinda my issue as well.

Season 1 was mostly horribly. Season 2 is where the show began to find its footing, and season 3 is when it took off. I suggest keeping going. It’s amazing what that show does.

Ah, well at least you feel shame. ;)

I guess I’m just not sure I feel like wading through 2 seasons of crappola, when there are other things to watch that don’t require this period of suffering. See: FF13.

If you like star trek and good sci fi television it is well worth it. Trust us on this one.

You can skip seasons 1+2 completely and not miss anything that could be material in the following.

I’d say there’s no need to wade through them at all. Just skip them entirely or pare them down to the handful of good episodes and start with season three (or the season two finale which segues into season three). The plot arcs don’t really start until then.

If you’d like, I could send you a list of the only eps to watch in season 1 and eps to avoid in season 2. My friend sent that to me when I started DS9 and it made for a much more pleasant experience.

Sounds good to me.

There are a few episodes in seasons 1 and 2 that do set up things that come in later seasons. I agree much of it can be skipped but I know a few should be watched to help the understanding of things to come.

FWIW here’s my list of season 1 and 2 episodes definitely worth watching (either for their own sake or bits of useful continuity):

1x01 Emissary (unless you’re already familiar with the setting and characters)
1x10 The Nagus
1x19 Duet
2x05 Cardassians
2x07 Rules of Acquisition
2x08 Necessary Evil
2x14 Whispers
2x22 The Wire
2x23 Crossover
2x26 The Jem’Hadar

Any egregious oversights?

Also, I’d disagree with skipping some of those season 3 episodes Sander 001 listed. I can’t clearly remember them all, but I definitely enjoyed at least House of Quark and Civil Defense.

spoilers dude.

house of quark is awesome. you see a clash of cultures, both of which are not the federation’s.

I honestly wouldn’t skip any episode on season 3, as they’re all enjoyable for what they are.

OK, I have been following the graciously provided skip lists, and I have to admit this show is better than it seems when you wade through the growing pains.

I still have one odd niggle though. While it is a decent sci-fi show about the drama on board a space station, it just isn’t Star Trek to me. Boldly waiting for adventure to come to you just isn’t the spirit of ST.

I think that’s why I like Voyager. Sure some of the episodes are kinda…flat, but the whole lost in the Delta quadrant idea is neat-o.

Don’t worry MP, they’re not stuck on the station forever. Quite the contrary in fact. ;)

Okay, okay I’ll stop whining and just watch it. ;)

Yaaaayy! Just wait until you meet the Defiant. AAhhhh, my favorite Star Trek ship ever…

Who’s the other guy who voted Enterprise? You’re needed for a high five. :)