Best Star Trek Series

Entertainment Earth (http://www.entertainmentearth.com) had the best price, and they’re a solid company. You want the Aoshima Enterprise.

It’s pricey, but the good news is that it comes fully assembled and painted. All you have to do is add the little plasticy bits that cover up the screw holes (which were left uncovered in that video.)

As far as I’m concerned, that’s bad news. I’d want to build and paint it myself, actually.

Heh. I like Red Dwarf, don’t get me wrong, but “really far from home” and “one guy is a hologram” are about the only things it has in common with Voyager. They aren’t really competing for my affections.

I suck at modelmaking. I own the Bandai Enterprise-E lit model. The snap-together kit that actually looks amazing and got great reviews, but I still haven’t tried it yet.

If I were Paul Allen, I’d just go to these guys. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was being built for Paul Allen, Trek nerd that he is. But holy shit, they’re building Enterprise models that look better than what ILM built. Of course, it’s a 8-month process and probably costs upper five figures, at least.

Was it you, then? High fives demagogue

What was Malcolm Mcdowell doing there? I know he was in Generations, but that seems a bit thin for appearing at conventions. Of course, having never been to one, I don’t really know what I’m talking about.

And I don’t mind admitting that Jolene Blalock (or Miss Spock, as I like to call her) is one of the reasons I voted for Enterprise. I like the rest of the cast, too, though. :)

yeah, the federation was never outgunned in ds9!
spoilers for an episode of ds9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzARkU5l2JE

best alternate opening of any trek series:

The bold crew of DS9 didn’t do much in the way of cruising around and making first contact with new races every week either. I was more thinking about TNG–yeah, I know they’d butt up against some Romulans or whatever from time to time, but whenever they met some new people, they were always free to play the “we are invincible and could blow up your planet if we wanted to” card. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I just like the different dynamic in Voyager.

What I didn’t like about Voyager: running into the same aliens three, four, maybe five times. If you’re flying in the same direction at Warp 9, you shouldn’t run into the same people again. Ever.

They’re not, though. Right from the beginning, Janeway is basically like “fuck driving straight home as fast as we can, we’re just going to roam the Delta Quadrant and look for a magic fix.” It’s one of the completely bonkers things about that show that I really like.

I wrote a big long rumination of Voyager (mostly a defense) a little while ago. Realized I never posted it anywhere, but this thread reminded about it. You can now read it here. As a summary, I believe the actually quality of the TNG era Star Treks are the exact opposite of what they are generally accepted to be. Actually I don’t believe I address DS9 in that essay, since I hadn’t done my rewatch at that time, but I think the series is pretty awful for the most part and I’d rank it below both TNG and Voyager.

About the only thing I agree with you about in that essay is that TNG is much worse than people remember it. (But in its defense, the episode you cite was first season, 1989, and among the first non-TOS episodes ever.) But hey, I’ll defend to your death your right to be wrong. :)

Actually I don’t believe I address DS9 in that essay, since I hadn’t done my rewatch at that time, but I think the series is pretty awful for the most part and I’d rank it below both TNG and Voyager.

Or very wrong, as the case may be. :)

DS9 has three major problems: boring religious BS that makes up like half the show, Avery Brooks’ godawful acting, and the fact that it takes place on something that doesn’t move. The Ferengi are the only characters on the show I actually like. I suppose it would help if the war with the Dominion made up more than like 5% of the actual episodes. It’s nice when they come along to break of the tedium of Odo’s romantic frustration, Obrien’s parental challenges and Julian’s standing around.

I really like most of DS9 but sticking in one place was NOT the problem for a lot of the bad stuff. They did have that nifty wormhole next door.

Being stuck in one place is a huge problem if you live next door to a bunch of crybaby bajorans.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but some of the stuff you state is just plain wrong.

The “boring” religious BS was not only pretty good, but it made up far less than “half the show.” In fact, once the producers caught on that many people weren’t taking to the Bajoran-centerted episodes, they cut them down to practically nothing. They would find an interesting way to tie Bajoran culture back into the series toward the end, but I would say that this got less than 10% of the overall show content.

Avery Brooks is a terrific actor and shows tremendous emotional range. He fills the role of father, station commander, and Emissary remarkably well. Watch his interation with Jake, Dukat, Kai Winn, or anyone else. It’s always unique, it’s always believable, and it’s almost always terrific.

There were far more than 5% of the episodes dedicated to the war with the Dominion, and they were almost all universally great. The first six episodes of season 6 is one huge super-episode dedicated to the start of the war, and the last 10 episodes of the series is also one huge super-episode dedicated to the end of the war. The stuff in between is directly or indirectly related to the war with the Dominion, and many episodes in seasons 4 and 5 address the Federation gearing up for the war.

Avery Brooks a bad actor? Let’s not confuse style with ability.

I think Avery Brooks has gone insane after watching The Captains.

I thought Avery Brooks was fine, I just didn’t think the character was that great.

People used to criticize Babylon 5 for the overly religious overtones from a lot of the characters, and the show’s creator (who is as anti-religious as they come) said, “Look, religion has been part of human culture for millenia, and no matter how much you might dislike it, it’s unrealistic to presume that religion would suddenly disappear in the future.” I always respected that attitude. Plus, the religious conflict led to some great episodes!

People used to criticize Babylon 5 for the overly religious overtones from a lot of the characters, and the show’s creator (who is as anti-religious as they come) said, “Look, religion has been part of human culture for millenia, and no matter how much you might dislike it, it’s unrealistic to presume that religion would suddenly disappear in the future.” I always respected that attitude. Plus, the religious conflict led to some great episodes!

I don’t have anything against religion being depicted in sci-fi, just how poorly it is done in DS9.