Best Star Trek Series

[i]what you call genocide, brad grenz called making babies cry![/i]

i liked the way most of the religious stuff. kira had to deal with the fact her boss was a living, breathing religious icon. sisko had to deal with being regarded as someone holy, which annoyed the heck out of starfleet command. the range of religious stuff was pretty wide too, from demons and cults, bajoran and klingon, converts and disbelievers.

I was #3.

They’d take anyone with a link to the series. And I have to say, I had a great time and I’d recommend it to everyone. My friends and I bought some expensive tickets, which included access to the stars at a party of some sort. I wasn’t up to it, but my friends went and had a great time speaking to various drunk stars and getting inside details.

Yes. There was an episode in the final season called Covenant and in it, Dukat had become the leader of a Bajoran anti-Christ type cult. It was so perverted and twisted on different levels it was like seeing behind the scenes of an actual religion.

Oh yeah, that episode was fucked up, in a good way.

Yeah he did come off a little nutty - but he did retreat to a life of academia. Of course if he was always like that it just means his performance is that much better.

I saw him at a few cons back in the day. He was always pleasant and awesome to listen to, but he seemed to more often than not talk about social issues in star trek – and here on earth today – rather than trek stuff itself, and when folks asked him about episode specific stuff though, he seemed kinda annoyed. He was quite pleasant on a one-on-one basis the one time I met him in an autograph line though.

So I have made it about half way through season 3 of DS9 and I still find it pretty lame-o. Is it time to throw in the towel or am I on the verge of this show “taking off”.

Dude, you’ve not even gotten to the war yet. Keep goong!!

Cut your losses and switch to Babylon 5. DS9 ripped off the war from them anyways.

How far along are you?
Shakaar, Defiant and the 2 parter Improbable Cause+The Die is Cast are excellent. Also watch the finale and skip the rest.

I’d say keep watching at least until Improbable Cause (3x20) - or, if you want to be extra sure, until The Visitor (4x02) - and then decide. It still keeps getting better after that, but if you don’t care for it by then, you probably won’t become a fan later on either.

Every time I watched DS9 it seemed to be about Quark’s dumb (dumber) cousin or the kids. It got old fast.

DS9 has a higher quality constant, but it never peaks as high as TNG.

Also, I was quite underwhelmed by the ending.

I think I have figured out why I like Voyager so much more than DS9 (I’m on S3E9). DS9 seems to be trying to be quality sci-fi, but comes up short and ends up in that area between good fun and serious/believable sci-fi*. This is a space that I find groan worthy (obviously this line varies by viewer). It wants me to suspend my disbelief, but it’s just a bit to cheesy for me to be able to. (That being said I will keep watching until S4E2, giving more than a fair shake)

Voyager on the other hand seems better at embracing it’s schlock and, while a bit cheesier than DS9, it ends up being a fun watch. It doesn’t ask me suspend my disbelief at all, it just gives me a fun ride.

*Examples of Sci-Fi I consider successful at suspending disbelief: Alien/Aliens, Blade Runner, Firefly, BSG (Which I grudgingly admit because I hate that show).

Season 4 is where I personally fell in love with the show. And then Seasons 5, 6, and 7 just got better. It was only then, years later, when I went back and watched Seasons 2 and 3 again that I liked them a lot more. I wish I could watch the show again for the first time. You’re just starting to get into the area where it’s about to get so good.

voyager annoyed me since it seemed like every other problem was solved by replacing someone’s dna with the teleporter. someone split into two people? off screen teleporter dna. turned into a lizard? off screen dna teleporter.

Hmmm…I don’t remember them using the teleporter as a fix all, and I am currently watching the series.

I do love the Holographic Operatic Doctor. That guy is pure gold. :)

I don’t remember the teleporter fix occurring regularly either, but I’m only up somewhere in the 2nd season.

Love the doctor, definitely one of my favorite Star Trek characters, he’s very well played.

I just finished cherry-picking episodes throughout all 7 seasons and I don’t remember the teleporter thing either.

That’s just Avery Brooks. I remember seeing him play Othello (Andre Braugher was a fantastic Iago in that performance, btw) in DC back in his pre-DS9 days and having the opportunity to chat with him afterwards. He was more than happy to talk about the parallels and social implications, but pretty much waved off anything that connected him to any moments of fame. He gave me an autograph as well, but just kept talking about various issues even as he did that. I suspected at the time that this was perhaps false humility, but it’s been quite consistent in any interviews I’ve seen since then.