Best thing to have on French Fries

If they’re good fries, nothing. Otherwise, ketchup.

If we are talking steak fries, I sometimes dip them in A-1 sauce.

D:

This:

Bacon%20ketchup

It’s got bacon in it. What more do you need to know?

Lemme offer a more specialized condiment: Miso mayo, specifically when eating Japanese sweet potato fries. So good. Otherwise, I like BBQ sauce over ketchup.

Barbecue sauce, malt vinegar, or ketchup.

Kudos to @Wendelius for choosing to defend the abomination that is mayo.

I am so hungry from the fries in a paper cone photo above, I am glad to be headed home soon.

I like a mixture of ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. Delicious.

I have made this. I approve.

McD’s hash browns are good…Arby’s potato cakes with horsey sauce: best thing ever.

Beef gravy. Even as a Canadian, I’m not a fan of poutin(e).

A spicy curry sauce is awesome on fries.

Can I please move there?

Just memorize “Je pense que Simenon est le meilleur écrivain au monde” and I’m sure you’ll be fine.

The trough of fries seems like something I would only see in America, yet its not in America!

Also shocked no one has mentioned bacon cheese fries yet.

American photo , hence no fork. :(

Dijonnaise.

If you are anywhere around Dallas, you owe it to yourself to go by Snuffers and have some of those awesome bacon cheese fries.

Also great: chili & cheese with some mustard on top, or Old Bay. Picked that last one up on the East Coast.

I feel like I’ve done this in several threads now, but one more time, I guess:

The proper condiment with French Fries is mayo.

Think about the flavor experience of French fries. They’re crispy and salty. What flavors complement those? Acid, in the form of, say, malt vinegar, is clear. But vinegar provides no textural element, and, as a water based liquid, makes the fries soggy on contact.

What we need is something oil based, that won’t cause immediate sogginess, and also something creamy to complement the crispy mouthfeel: mayonnaise. See also fried fish: cruspy and salty, paired with tartar sauce, i.e. mayonnaise.

What about ketchup? Ketchup has acid, yes. But it’s primary other flavors are sweet and salty. The fries should be salty enough on their own, and sweetness isn’t really a necessary flavor addition in a savory dish in and of itself.

Can we put other things in the mayonnaise? Absolutely. A little heat, a little herbaciousness, it’s all good. But the baseline of creaminess is what we need. Incidentally: cheese fries? The cheese provides a bit if sour, salty, bite, but via a creamy coating. If you’re pro cheese fries, you’re pro-mayo. Even crazy Wendy’s frosty dippers know it’s true deep down.

Now, Americans seem weirdly to reject the idea of mayo on fries out of hand. Some kind of weird national identity thing with ketchup, I guess? But also just access to bad mayo. Stuff from a jar. Japanese (Kewpie) mayo is good and fairly readily available (and goes phenomenally with fried chicken). Home-made mayo takes 5 minutes, and is even better. Mayo shouldn’t come from a jar. It’s a sauce, not a condiment. When given its due respect, it can be truly great. But honestly, even the stuff in a jar does the job.

Bacon and cheese is exactly what I was thinking. Plus I like to dip in BBQ sauce.

My son just made some homemade fries in the Ninja Foodi, and while not exactly fries (they aren’t deep fried), they were pretty good! He seasoned them with some mixture of herbs and I dipped in BBQ sauce.

Cheese and bacon though, mmmmmm.

Fry sauce. It’s in the name.

Personally, I prefer tartar sauce for dipping.