Best thing you'll see all week: Better Call Saul (season 3, episode 3)

Personally, I definitely like Better Call Saul much more than Breaking Bad. But I’m about a season behind on Saul now (I’m probably the only person in existence who goes on anti-binges of shows) but it’s still keeping me interested. I just think Saul is an inherently more interesting character surrounded by interesting characters.

After tonight’s show, I think they you can update the thread title to say episode 5.

This text will be blurred
The witness losing it on the stand, egged on by the clever attorney is one of the most cliched moments in TV. On occasion, you feel sympathy for the witness. I felt sympathy for Chuck, but most of all you felt sympathy for poor Jimmy being forced to do this to a brother who he dearly loves. I was completely mesmerized by the scene, which was probably the best scene I’ve seen this year.

Was I the only one thinking of The Caine Mutiny during the final scene?

No it was up there with Caine Mutiny, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Few Good Men, and probably better than anything Perry Mason ever did.

Wow what an episode, @wumpus if you think that this lawyering is boring still then stop watching because that was quality dramatic television.Chuck & Jimmy what great characters and the actors portraying them!

This show is just better than Breaking Bad. It’s right up there with TV’s all-time greats. It’s a masterpiece.

This? This is supposed to be some metric of “Great TV Shows across the ages”?

Who knew that Rectify: Season 4 was the pinnacle of human art? I see a teensy bit of selection bias,

And Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift are some of the most important musicians to ever perform. The Stones, Miles Davis, Beethoven: losers.

Amusingly enough, Chuck even mocked Jimmy about this for the tactic of having Rebecca there. Then he fell into the Perry Mason trap anyway.

Yep. Better than Breaking Bad. No question in my mind now.

Critics don’t seem to agree. Solid, yes, worthy, yes, (if you can tolerate the sonambulent pace) but one of the all time greats like Breaking Bad? Hell no.

I forced myself to suffer through seasons 1 and 2 and the show was uniformly disappointing. I guess I will force myself to suffer through season 3 to see if things have improved; they badly need to speed things up and have something, anything interesting happen.

14 awards and 70 nominations in two seasons is hardly a show that has been ignored by critics. It is running only slightly behind Breaking Bad after two seasons…

Critics weren’t wild about Beethoven’s sonatas at the time. Or The Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds.

I’m perfectly fine disagreeing with critics.

Hmm.

14 wins and 70 nominations (two seasons)
141 wins and 223 nominations (five seasons)

14 x 2.5 = 35 which … is not even close, frankly.

70 x 2.5 = 175 is in the ballpark, I guess, but a nomination is a far cry from a win.

Gah, I just now posted a write-up of episode 5. Sorry to scatter all these threads into the TV subforum. I didn’t really give much thought to what weekly write-ups would do to the conversation.

-Tom

Well, it is not like it is the best 100 TV shows so it shouldn’t matter.

Oh, and wumpus BB started really racking up the awards in seasons 3 and 4.