Best thing you'll see all week: Prospect

Space as the Old West isn’t a new thing. Before Firefly, there was Outland. Before Outland, there was probably even something else.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2019/03/14/best-thing-youll-see-all-week-prospect/

“The girl is played by an appropriately low-key Sophie Tucker”

Sophie Thatcher, Tom!

Oops. I blame the 80s for making me averse to that name?

-Tom

That is a very evocative image on the Front Page.

This was great. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Mr Chick. I found this article illuminating:

This kind of blew my mind:

the film’s budget…came in under $4 million

This explains a lot:

I think that’s part of the reason it has a unique look. Instead of just hiring the folks who worked on The Martian or Alien: Covenant, they pulled together a disparate non-Hollywood group. It shows.

-Tom

Thanks for the reminder to watch this, Tom, and for letting me know I can stream it on Amazon. I have an acquaintance on FB that was constantly posting links to production updates for what seemed like forever but with no actual explanation or reason why I should care. You’ve given me that info, and it sounds neat.

This is now on Netflix. What an excellent movie! I’ve been down on the sci-fi genre lately as they’ve become endlessly more about the spectacle and ridiculous plots. This one works great. The technology is expertly made background, and is more often a hassle than a wow-feature. The characters are great and believable, with excellent performances from the two leads and others. The plot is very tight, almost a lesson for other films on how to package plot devices, e.g. the early mention of the ‘unusual prisoner execution’ which is never actually explained / resolved but is alternatively book-ended quite neatly at the end. Recommended.