Best Ticket to Ride Version?

I’ve played all three, at home and in a couple of tournaments, and I like Europe best. Adds just a touch of complexity, but lacks the fiddly bits of Marklin.

Europe is the favorite around here.

I have the Märklin Edition. It is a mess, don’t bother.

Sorry to revive an old thread (my post count is too small to create a new thread). I live in Europe and want to buy Ticket to Ride: Europe, but in English. I can find good prices for Zug um Zug, but to be “international student-friendly”, I wanted to get the English version. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get a copy for a good price? I live in Italy.

Your best bet is probably searching the boardgamegeekmarketplace, which has a substantial European presence, or posting your question in the regional forums there.

My favorite version of Ticket to Ride is Thurn and Taxis.

Yeah, there’ll be plenty of UK/EU retailers happy to sell you an English version of the game.

I finally got to play Switzerland/Nordic… Nordic rocks - by far my favourite 2 player map now. Totally cut-throat.

That new UFO/Godzilla expansion looks fun for the base game though.

Nordic is definitely a great 2-3 player map - totally cut-throat.

US Map with Big Cities (1910) can be very cutthroat as well.
Oh yeah - and totally BGG marketplace to get the English version.

A question for those with the US version and 1910 expansion (thank god for real sized cards) …

Which variant do you play, when you play? The ‘big’ game with all the route cards and the and the ‘draw more, keep more’ adjustment, just the ‘big cities’, or whatever the third one is … 1910 cards only or whatever.

And speaking of TTR - this new ‘Alvin & Dexter’ expansion really struck me as “WTF” … http://static.daysofwonder.com/c/0057nak/en/

Railroad Tycoon is actually quite good, and it’s got this interesting mechanic where you can take as much money as you want. But as you do, you’re essentially selling bonds on which you must pay interest each turn and subtract victory points at the end of the game. So you only want to take enough money go engage in profitable ventures. Take too much, and you spiral into an unrecoverable debt. (Though that’s really only theoretical – I’ve never seen anyone be that silly.)

And in a bit of random trivia, it’s designed by Glenn Drover who, oddly enough, has mostly left the boardgaming industry and come to PopCap to run our retail efforts. So when you see PopCap games in a physical store, it’s the designer of the boardgame iteration of Railroad Tycoon (and Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, the older Civ adapatation, etc) responsible.

If it’s 2 or 3 players, I do “Big Cities” as it makes the city selection more competitive. More than that, just the cards with 1910 in the corner.

Putting the route cards from the base together with the 1910 as one mega game is fun once, but there’s just so many damn routes that it’s exploitable (like Switzerland, but that feels by design).

Days of Wonder just announced the Ticket to Ride Map Collection Vol. 1 and 2, which contain winners of a contest for fan-made maps, and a few extra surprises.

Ticket to Ride: Asia contains the Legendary Asia map for 2-5 players, and the Team Asia map (designed by Alan Moon) for 4 or 6 players in teams of two.

Ticket to Ride: India includes a Grand Tour of India, and as a bonus, it also includes the long-out-of-print Switzerland map!

Hooray! I don’t have to spend hundreds on eBay to have a complete collection!

I’ve been playing Europe with my wife, but with only two of us its really down to who can collect the most routes in the shortest amount of time. There is virtually no incentive to block and the size of the map rarely causes conflict with two players.

I was looking at Switzerland or Nordic countries for a 2 player version. I’d been leaning toward the Nordic countries one [edit: Also I didn’t realize that the Switzerland one was out of print until just now]. I think I’ll pick up Nordic now. Also, the Alvin and Dexter expansion looks… interesting.

Sorry to revive an old thread (my post count is too small to create a new thread). I live in Europe and want to buy Ticket to Ride: Europe, but in English. I can find good prices for Zug um Zug, but to be “international student-friendly”, I wanted to get the English version. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get a copy for a good price? I live in Italy.

This response is just a tad late, but I’m curious why the language makes any difference. It’s a simple enough game to explain witout referring to a rule book, and the destination cards are effectively language neutral (I’m sure international students will be able to cope with variations in city names, and besides as long as the destination cards match the board the actual names are just flavour). There’s nothing language dependent in the course of the game like, say, chance cards in Monopoly