Best Video Game Gun

In Day of Defeat the MG42 was supreme.

Not available in multiplayer, so the (singular) RCP90 is the obvious winner.

Honorable mentions: The Spinfusor from Starsiege: Tribes, and the submachine gun from MAG.

Seconded. The Gears chainsaw gun was inspired, though. Medium range gun with a crazy close quarters backup. I remember I had gruesomely buzzsawed dozens of bad guys when the first one fought back and all of the sudden I’m in a chain saw duel. Wow!

See their mistake was best VIDEO GAME gun.

Because the M1 is the best real gun. And anyone who disagrees with have to hold an M1 at arm’s length for 5 minutes until they comply.

Honestly, I don’t remember the rifle being particular heavy - But then again, I was 19 and in pretty good shape, and we carried that thing everywhere. Our personal equipment in general had a weight around 50 kiloes, seeing we were Royal Danish Engineers.

I carried the tripod for a light machine as well at times, so thats probably why I didn’t think the Garand was heavy ;-)

But its pretty awesome to use the Garand in games, and the LMG M62 as well, which is the two weapons I was trained for - Both are somewhat profilic in games!

The two guns I think are best is the squirt gun in Fallout 4 and the gun used in Nintendo’s Duck Hunt. With the squirt gun you got to take out an invincible dude and I got to actually hold the the Duck Hunt gun in my hand while shooting those dang-blasted ducks.

Just what I was thinking.

Yea, it would have been nice to shoot that stupid dog to shut him up.

It’s a 10 lb gun with lots of wood and the balance of that weight isn’t distributed too well. It’s a pretty beefy piece of hardware compared to say an AR15 or the like. Good side is you could easily kill someone with it even without any bullets.

I played Quake 2 competitively so the Rocket Launcher and Super Shotgun will have to come first. Especially loved the the SSG with the Power Amp as I mainly played CTF. I can’t think of any other weapon Ive had better mastery over than the Q2 RL.

Although the RL in Team Fortress (I know its Quake/QW but I didnt play them) had a lovely feel to it too, and being faster projectile, blisteringly accurate.

I was really effective in Battlefield 2 with the DAO-12. Especially when I was one of the first to unlock it, I used to take out entire squads at close range.

The laser in Salamander (and Gradius series) is an excellent SHMUP gun, why are we only mentioning FPS’s here?

My Buriza in Diablo 2 was awesome, their were Burizon builds for good reason.

The chaingun in Serious Sam is probably the best videogame chaingun. All the weps in SS were pretty sweet tbh. Absolutely loved the star wars laser.

oh sure - but its not like we had other rifles to compare with so I guess we just took it for granted. The one thing I DO remember, is that firing it packed quite a punch, and you could easily get a bruised shoulder after a day on the firing range, until you learned how to lean into the shot.

The other weapons I fired were a M62 which was quite heavy, and then the sergeants carried small, British machinepistols I dont know the name off, so the comparison weren’t there. Other branches of the military had… G3, Heckler and Koch rifles , but for some reason we had to carry the old rifles.

Pop-up target practice with a M62 on a course you have to walk through, was pretty fun and made you feel badass. Not many games gives you the same sense of power that these kind of weapons actually exhibit in real life, but I seem to recall that Battlefield 1942 had the rifles, and more or less accurately portrayed them.

Oh man, the memory of sending some of the cannonballs or using the chaingun against a huge pack of galloping kleer skeletons in Serious Sam is still so good. In co-op, even better, with a line of Sams (in various costumes, of course) going nuts at like 100 enemies at once.

Yeah it’s a hell of a round compared to 5.56.

Having never fired a garand, but having fired another .30-06 hunting rifle in my boy scout days. That thing packs a kick like a 12 gauge. Gotta be prepared for that thing.

Love this gun. You shrink the other player then STOMP on them. Such a satisfying kill. Also satisfying on the receiving end if you manage to get away before getting stomped on.

There was an arcade game called The Grid, a first person shooter made by the Mortal Kombat team (before I joined up with them) that had a variety of crazy weapons. My favorite of the bunch is a literal cannon. Any hit with the weapon is a kill, but it doesn’t kill on the spot. The comically huge cannonball picks up its victim and flies them across the arena to the opposite wall where they splat. If you’re the victim of one, you’re treated to a side-on view of this travesty, as your poor little body ragdolls on the end of a giant metal ball until your ignominious end with a comical “CLANG” noise.

It’s a shame this game never got a home release. It was a blast to play.

DoD and DoD2 had some fabulous weapons. The railgunesque Kar98K was great, and I really like the Lee Enfield. (Infact I like a Lee Enfield in any game). But my overall favourite was the paratrooper FG42!

The best ever gun is the SINGLE shotgun from Doom! Controversial, I know. I use the double more as it’s more powerful in terms of ammo spent, but the single shotgun has a much more satisfying rhythm to dance to along with a Hell Knight.

It’s that BVUM click-clack-cluck that I always loved on the super shotgun.

Nah, the BOOM…CHK-CHK, BOOM…CHK-CHK is way better.

I’m sorry to do this, but it’s your own faults.