best way to ship a desktop?

Okay, the scan is done and now we’re back to the doughnut again. It’s only been about 15 minutes so far.

Yes, I don’t know what’s the hold up is. It’s an old flash drive, so it’s probably not the fastest, but it’s only a 3 G ISO and all of that should go into memory until I select the disk because it’s going to give me an option to reformat, I’m pretty sure.

How old is the iso? I would download a more updated windows installer, just in case. It’s free.

Yeah if it’s old enough it might not even be UEFI. I assume it’s not that old…I mean I said BIOS but it’s called something different now. I am not techie enough to really care but I do remember when it all changed.

I saw UEFI somewhere. I’m trying to download a fresh ISO. It says I have to use a tool that wants to know if the new PC is 64 bit. I assume it is, but how can I tell? Usually I look in Windows, but I haven’t installed Windows yet.

It’s almost certainly 64 bit.

Yeah it’s 64. This is new hardware.

Okay, it finally worked. I was my unfamiliarity with the new UEFI options. I poked around in there and selected the USB drive and then the install screen popped right up almost immediately.

I think that doughnut stuff was windows trying to install from the old install on one of the internal drives.

Thanks guys. I reformatted all the disks and it’s chugging along. Now this is the part that will take a few hours, so I’m going to get some sleep. Ah, the job of a network admin dad is never done, but I love it. :)

Man, that went fast. It was done in like 20 minutes! Today I put it on the network and get drivers. I need to format the big HDD disk. Lots to do, but it should come together pretty quick.

20 minutes for all those updates? I swear it takes me longer today to get just a couple of them… Good news though!

well, not the updates. I just mean the install from the ISO/USB key. Since I downloaded it and made a new USB drive, I hope I saved myself some update hell, but I’m sure there will be a bunch of updates left to install even with the new ISO.

Oh yeah that first install is pretty zippy. I look forward to doing this myself as soon as I commit to the cpu, mobo and RAM. I am waiting for a deal, and I have everything else already.

Does Windows update still do drivers? Do you have to opt into anything to get the drivers to come down? I have always just let Windows Update scan to get the latest stuff for my motherboard, but maybe there is a better way or it has changed?

It will do drivers by default. Typically you leave that on with a new install to get your chipset stuff and then turn it off so it doesn’t overwrite your GPU drivers with ancient versions.

Oh, thank you. I haven’t even touched it since we built it, but I’m going to try to muscle in there and get it all up to date with regular updates and drivers, then turn off the drivers.

It’s pretty satisfying to have rebuilt it after the shipping catastrophe. I’m impressed with how much has changed to make it all easier since way back in the Celeron overclocking era when I first built PCs.

Yeah, you don’t need to set jumpers to overclock now and so on. Much better doing it in the BIOS.

Heh, good to know. We didn’t even check out any overclocking stuff. It was just a straight build. But I can only imagine how easy it must be with the right parts and cooler and so forth.

Even easier. With just basic stock stuff, you can do a few tweaks and get a bump; for example, Ryzen’s stock cooler is plenty sufficient for minor OC.

Oh, nice. Good to know. I’m going to pass that along. If I build my own next, I would have no problem tweaking it for performance.

I remember the good ole days, which probably aren’t that old for some, but there was a chip, maybe it was Athlon 2, some people apparently pressed down too hard on the CPU lever or didn’t have it situated right… anyway, cracked chips reported on various sites. When I got mine… was super, super nervous.

6 years or so ago when I built this one, it seemed so much easier. I have most of the new build already, and although a part of me wanted to do pre-built for cost and even more ease… i hate the pre-built cases… the stock CPUs in those things suck, the motherboards are usually subpar and it’s often not the chip you can OC.

The biggest difference between now and then though is if i really screw it up, I can actually afford to replace it… makes it a lot less stressful.