Best WWII Wargame for PC?

OK, when I’m feeling a bit better I have got to find my copy of Battle of Britain 2 and hope I can get it to run. I have been angsting for a dynamic campaign like that for a long time.

This and Wings over Flanders Field have two of the best dynamic campaigns I’ve ever seen, FYI. ;)

OK your rock. I forgot about that one. I wonder if I have that? I can’t imagine I don’t. Didn’t we have a huge exciting thread about that and some other WWI sim at one point?

Well, we have this massive thread wherein we’ve discussed both:

Man I soured on Combat Mission when t hey released that update to beyond overlord to get it to run on XP and charged for it. Maybe it’s time to let go and look into this again. I really loved that game.

Ick I hated it. Same clunky interface and camera management they’d been doing for so long.

>
OK now you have me back at their website seeing what’s changed and been updated. Curiosity got to me :)

The Combat Mission game structure is pretty confusing. The old Beyond Overlord/Afrika Corps/Barbarossa games are on the old CM1 engine. The new CM games are on the CM2 engine. There are 5 ‘families’ of games on the CM2 engine. If you buy one of the following base games, you can only play the specific expansions for that base game.

Battle for Normandy. This has three expansions - ‘Commonwealth Forces’, ‘Market Garden’ and ‘Special Vehicles’. It also has a custom map pack. This has the most content, but you will pay the most money for it. It is basically just ‘Western Front’ maps and gameplay.

Fortress Italy. This has one expansion - Gustav Line. This lets you play with goofy Italian tankettes.

Red Thunder. No expansions yet although it is probably due for one soon. Late war Operation Bagration Russia v retreating Germany.

Black Sea - modern NATO v Russia in the Ukraine.

Final Blitzkrieg - Just released Bulge game. Winter maps and lots of late war King Tigers and Pershings.

To make things more confusing (and annoying), Battlefront have been releasing paid patches. There have been three patches (or 'engine upgrades") to date which cost $10 each (I know). However all the games you buy are already on engine 3.0 so you don’t have to pay to upgrade (except Fortress Italy it is still only on the 2.0 engine, so you will need to pay another $10 for that to upgrade to version 3.0 - although the bundle has a $25 discount). But there will probably be a 4.0 upgrade coming eventually which you will need to pay for.

Each of the games has a demo, so it is really a matter of trying out the theatre you like. The controls can be a little clunky but it gives you a lot of tactical options and replayability.

Oh wow, What a mess. Could they have screwed up that series any more?

Whoops, wrong thread.

They lost me when I excitedly pre-ordered Shock Force, and it turned out to be an absolute disaster.

That plus charging for basic compatibility patches on the early CM games kept me from ever giving Battlefront any money again, and I would’ve loved Black Sea. What a shame.

Black Sea is really good and you should get it.

So I finally got around to playing Medal of Honor Airborne for the first time tonight. Holy shit. That’s amazing.

Watching youtubers play the upcoming Panzer Corps 2 led me to pick up two games I’d bought a while back and not done much with, unity of comas 2 and order of battle.
but I enjoyed order of battle enough to pick up a bundle of dlc on the German campaign, partway through the first one (blitzkreig) now. They have started a Russian series too , with 2 dlc out and I guess a third coming this spring. Is anyone playing that right now?

That’s an impressive thread necro. :)

It was the thread that popped up when I searched for “order of battle.” 😀

“unity of commas” lol

, , , , , marching on , , , , ,

Oops!

I am giving you the side eye so bad right now.