Bethesda finally let the other shoe drop on paid mods at E3 2017

There’s no word yet on the exchange rate between real dollars and the Creation Club funny money, but you can assume it will be controversial no matter the cost.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/06/11/bethesda-finally-let-shoe-drop-paid-mods-e3-2017/

Pete’s not having the best night.

A unmoderate app store (or mod store) fuels some truly evil behaviors. Like flippers, people that download something, change it slighly to pass the filter, then upload it again. Flippers pretty often make more money than the oroginal creator because they are better at marketing. Then the original creator see his thing have 12 download while the flipper have 15900.

Theres nothing bad with modding a mod. Like somebody make a tiger companion, and you mod it to shapeshift to a cat women. Or somebody make a boat mod, and you had some fishing gameplay to it.

Also theres nothing bad with mod packs. Like making a mod that is other 6 mods that work well togueter. And synergize.

All of this clash with a commercial mod scene.

Looking at how troublesome it is to get mods to behave together in their games, I sure hope Bethesda is taking on themself to insure that no mods will create compatibility troubles interacting with each other. They wouldn’t charge people to have them break their game upon loading it, right?
I don’t even get how that stupid idea could not get vetoed internally. Ah right, those are the people trying to patent English words.

I almost stayed up way past my bed time to watch this. Thank God that I did not.

“Like”

Same here Jason. I just finished watching it this morning.

Still, that Wolfenstein trailer starts off pretty great. Just like with the FMV marketing for Wolfenstein: The New Order, the FMV trailer that started off Wolfenstein II: the New Colossus was excellent. I love how much fun they have with the new timeline where Nazis rule America. It’s such a great direction for this whole series.

Sadly I did stay up for this. Maybe paid mods will fuel a burst of creativity that will turn Fallout 4 and Skyrim into practically brand new games as far as content goes…but I kinda doubt it and it’s hard not to be cynical about it.

What a huge disappointment though that there was no Starfield, Fallout 5, or ES 6 announcement. Creatively they seem determined to present “compelling stories” with their “memorable characters”…at least I think Hines said something like that. And that’s great and all but I really wish they would focus on the wonderful open world sandboxes that they are so good at making. Oh well. Maybe next year?

I personally like that they always seem to concentrate on what’s coming in the coming year. What’s the use of announcing Starfield, Fallout 5 or ES6 if they’re not coming until 2018 or more likely 2019? I’d rather they wait on the Summer 2018 announcements and onward until next year’s E3.

What did y’all think of the Skyrim for Switch trailer? Something about it seemed to me like “Baby’s first Skyrim”. And I don’t necessarily mean that in a negative way.

Oh I like that too. I just wanted one of those games or a game like those this November. :)

Yeah, I’m majorly disappointed, but next year ought to be a hell of a show for them.

Still, what a fucking let down. And I say this as someone who has a VR rig and loves it.

I’m sure they’ll announce it as soon as they’re close. The open world game(s) probably just aren’t there yet.

Oh haha, of course there’s no Oculus support. I understand why and all, but fuck Bethesda. God. Fucking children.

I don’t understand the furor at all. This appears to be Bethesda “in-housing” mod development, essentially contracting out DLC development. Seems entirely different than the free for all clusterfuck that was going to be the end result of the original Steam attempt.

Though of course, this is still fuckupable, e.g. Bethesda Bucks.

Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.

Creators are paid for their work and start receiving payment as soon as their proposal is accepted and through development milestones.

Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like. Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content…All the content is approved, curated, and taken through the full internal dev cycle; including localization, polishing, and testing.

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

That Wolfenstein trailer. So freaking great! After the 2014 game I can’t wait.

I have no problem with this.
This is not really what I call “paid mods”.

ya and it will probably all amount to nothing. I don’t see either the people who are really going through all that trouble to create something nor do I see a particular market for this stuff. I mean there will be SOME interest in it like with every obscure thing but overall its much ado about nothing.

Just an observation in a larger setting. Some modders mod as a hobby, so pay is not a consideration. But, many also do it as a way of showcasing skills, and it is even recommended when people ask about paths to industry jobs. Bethesda is realizing the obvious, that much of the real value of their games comes from their mod community. Great. They also seem like they want at least the non-hobbyist ones to get paid. Good?

Or is it really? Yes this is them “out-sourcing DLC” more or less. So they make the game platform, and keep all rights and sales and the modders don’t get jobs, they become part of the game payment eco-system. The new “not really an employee” piece work economy. So I have to ask,

Would I make more per hour driving for Uber, or modding a Bethesda game? And is that after I count the expenses prom providing my own tools? Soes anyone do proper percent usage and amortization on the car-insurance-maintenance/pc-tools-electricity-home office? Back when I did contracting, or early era work offsite from home I had to.

I think the backlash if they shut down mods for existing games would be strong. But I see this also as a pilot for future games. One of the things that internal dev cycle could do is add the DRM, so non-vetted mods could them be killed off.

Oh. That’s almost entirely what they should be doing, then. Maybe some tweaks to the precise details, and of course making people go through Bethesda.net is terrible because Bethesda.net is terrible, but developer-guided-and-curated third party content creation is the only way “paid mods” makes sense to me as a concept.