Bethesda finally let the other shoe drop on paid mods at E3 2017

I’m not really interested in Bethesda’s games, but I’ve made some mods for other titles, and this is an interesting experiment. The current model is a lot less offensive than what they tried to do in the past WRT paid mods.

So a big thumb’s up from me!

Nice to see Pete Hines’ attitude on Twitter syncs up nicely with Bethesda’s policy towards their customers / reviewers nowadays.

More on this.

[quote]
Hines emphasized the distinction between this content and mods, noting that everything from Creation Club will be treated as official content. “It’s almost like mini DLCs in some way, although that’s probably not even a great point of reference,” he explained. “But they are internally created, or internally created along with external developers. They’re fully internally developed and work the same across all three platforms. They’re guaranteed to work with your save games. They don’t turn off Achievements or Trophies, unlike mods. They’re guaranteed to work with all DLC. They’ll be localized as needed. They will be put out and created as official content from the studio.”[/quote]

[quote]
“Ultimately we’ll see the stuff that comes up, but it’s not meant to be high price point stuff; it’s supposed to be small things you can add to your game,” he said. “The price points will vary. We’ll figure that out as we go along. Honestly, it’s all dependent on what the folks who are working on this want to create. They get to pitch, ‘I want to make this thing, I want to make that thing.’ And then it gets approved and they start working on it. If they’re a modder that’s been accepted, they’re no longer a modder. They’re now a game developer. Once they get greenlit, they’re getting paid like any other developer that works on our stuff.”[/quote]

The biggest issue to me seems like it’ll be IP related. Let’s say in the Creation Club you design, for instance, a HUD mod that’s completely your own creation from the ground up, but it does something sort of similar to a HUD mod that already exists. What’s to prevent a mod creator from jamming Bethesda up with legal requests to either remove the Creation Club mod or give anyone filing a claim a piece of its money flow?

I mean, I’d say “I’m sure Bethesda has thought about that,” but none of this seems particularly well thought out.

Hmm, I’m sure the EULA has something to say about that. If a direct copy slips through then it should be easy enough to make an agreeable settlement (which we should all strive for before calling the lawyers).

Maybe they could beat the EULA, but you have to go up against the Zenimax legal team.

More importantly, the Internet would be ablaze. So they’ll probably just take it down.

On an individual basis, it’s not going to be worth it.

But out there somewhere, Saul Goodman is lurking, and will prep a class-action suit over dozens/hundreds of mods that were freely available whose original creators may have a claim on something in the Creation Club.

Solution: use Creation Club money to directly fund the legal team. The more they steal, the more lawyers they can hire!

Remember when Blizzard announced Starcraft 2 would do this with their mission designer during the prerelease build up? And then legal buried the responsible parties somewhere in New Mexico and it was never spoken of again? Yea.

Just off the top

1. Copyrght infringement. Oh boy on this.
  2. Ownership of assets. Whose on first base here? How can asset generation be proved? What about greedy modders grabbing up previously available public works?
  3. Bethesda liability. If they facilitate and profit where does their liability end?
  4. Owneship of concepts. Can I make a unique script that I own as a feature of modding? A unique gameplay addition or modding trick etc?

The cost of filing said legal complaint.

Keep reading the thread. ;)

Interesting take by Gopher. (Watch the whole thing, btw.)

I guess one really cool thing that could come out of this, is if they are allowed to add their curated mods on PS4 - that would mean you finally could get mods with scripts in them, on that console, which would be great!

You know, I think this is why there is no real word on the next elder scrolls game. They want to get all this worked out, and then make the next ES game with this in mind.

That’s a good video. I think his conclusion in the end is wrong although he’s basically right about everything the whole time, because he wants to preserve large paid for DLC. The implication is that this stuff is going to be a lot like TF2 hats, and that’s probably the most right thing I’ve heard. Paying creators to create marginal content that Bethesda owns makes 1000% more sense than Bethesda opening a FFA marketplace for paid mods, and that content is likely to be of the easily verifiable sort that they can comb through for copyright violations; i.e. “hats”.

Naw, they just don’t want to alternate Fallout/Elder Scrolls indefinitely. They have 2 unrelated games first, including a rumoured space-based one that sounds like a mix between Elder Scrolls/worlds and sci-fi exploration, like Mass Effect. Which sounds awesome, if true.

Summary of some rumours - not all correct, as is evident by the title, but interesting: Bethesda to reveal sci-fi open-world game Starfield at E3 2017 - rumour | VG247

I sure hope they release another open world game sometime soon. That starfield idea does sound good. Fallout 4 really didn’t do it for me. I found the world very generic and bland. I am also tired of skyrim after so many years. The next open world RPG can’t come soon enough.

The Creation Club mod:

A golf club melee weapon that randomly creates a vast variety of items, creatures or characters around the player while swinging it. Comes with weapon upgrades and color variants. Removing the extra ability turns the weapon into a regular golf club.

Nice! That’s pretty clever.

To really hit the nail on the head, the mod maker should’ve tagged the weapon so it costs caps to swing it.

Or make lawyers spawn behind you.