Bethsoft stabs me in the back

No, not really. Just thought I’d throw in an attention gainer. But they definitely packaged a defective disk 2 for my Call of Cthulhu game. It gives me a redundancy check error in mid installation, and fails to copy when I just try to copy the .cab out of the disk. Hilariously, Nero refuses to copy it and fix it like it does with my fucked up DVD’s because the problem is (I guess) not because of a scratch.

So I wrote my angsty letter to Bethsoft in hopes that they will send a replacement (I don’t know Gamestops policy on defective games…will they take it back?) in the hopes that they will be as decent as they were back in the day when my copy of Daggerfall went kaput.

Anyone have any ideas how I could fix this? Ideas on return policies so I can come in armed (a videogame joint in a military town is the customer service equivalent of a gun store in the hood)?

I don’t know Gamestops policy on defective games…will they take it back?

They will.

Super. I guess I’ll be packing civilian clothes to work tomorrow.

Most places will exchange your game for another copy if you still have your receipt and make the return in a timely manner.

If you purchased the game from the PX, I have no idea what their exchange policy is.

You may also want to check your manual. Sometimes I have seen companies offer limited warranties to replace lost or damaged discs. They provide instructions on how to proceed.

As an example I looked at my KOTOR II manual and read this in the "Limited Warranty section:

LucasArts warrants to the original consumer purchaser only that the media furnished in this Software will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase (as evidenced by your receipt). If the media furnished in this Software proves to be defective, and provided that the original consumer purchaser returns the media to LucasArts in accordance with the instructions in this paragraph, LucasArts will replace the defective media: (a) free of charge to the original consumer purchaser, if the media proves to be defective within the ninety (90) day period following the date of purchase, or (b) for a fee of $5.00 (all references herein are to United States dollars) per DVD or Compact Disc (“CD”), if the media proves to be defective after the expiration of the ninety (90) day warranty period, provided that the request is made within a reasonable time from purchase, and LucasArts continues to distribute the DVD or CD commercially…

It then has instructions which follow. My point is that most companies have some sort of limited warranty when it comes to defective (not scratched or abused) media, so this may be an option if the store doesn’t allow for exchanges.

Hopefully, you’ve saved the receipt.

Edit: What the crap? I guess I missed where you bought it from when I read your post initially.

Yeah, I dug it out of the trash after ranvarians post. I bet Bethesda won’t get back to me until after I’ve already traded it in.

Thanks though…The only time I ever bought games at the PX was when I was broke and using my military credit card. Let’s just say I’ve learned from that mistake. Fucking gouging us, even without a sales tax.