Betrayal At Krondor or Realms Of Arkania?

Perhaps it’s just due to my intense dislike for the original RoA PC game (not the series, mind you - it certainly got better in my book). The criticisms of Drakensang do have some merit: it’s not a great game, but it was a decent play if a bit derivitive.

Only slightly improved in River of Time. But …

• lots of backtracking through large areas/long corridors.
    … clearly better now. Smaller world and teleports FTW!

Story was a little slow to start, too.

The biggest improvement.

However, will return to it at some point, only played about 7 hours or so into it.
Then you’re not too far away from the point where the looong upward trend starts. The story really only kicks off when you leave the city.

No. It’s out in France and Italy.

My best guess would be a gold bundle together with the upcoming add-on.

I wonder why dtp is so hesitant to use Steam though. If it’s so hard to find shelf space, why not push DDL?

“Don’t let her herpes put you off. She’s a really good kisser when her sores aren’t weeping.”

BoK hands down. RoA was painful when I tried to play it back in the day.

Fallout is a great old school crpg.

As far as Oblivion goes, heck ya. Go for it.

Last I read everything was up in the air because the developer almost went bankrupt and was acquired by someone else. Meanwhile, the publisher has international rights for the RoT game, but it’s not clear if they have publishing rights for the expansion.

It turned out dtp has the rights for the expansion too. It will come out during the GC.

Though I feel there are completely different games, I also liked Drakensang and it’s prequel enough to pick up the CEs.
I’m saddened that the developer went belly up and was aquired by a browsergame company - they already announced the next Drakensang game, if you want to even name it that way, will be a browsergame and set in a different world (because they lost the Dark Eye license).
I would have paid money for another Drakensang game (and I will probably be able to, as a spinoff was almost completed by the time of bancrupcy, but I mean after that), but a multiplayer only browsergame without the license - nah, I don’t think so.

rezaf

What about Drakensang: Conspiracy at Ferdok, is this any good?

It’s free and isn’t very long, so try it!

I just played through it and it’s not bad at all. I don’t know if the future adventures are worth 4 euros each, though. The whole thing is basically a microtransaction based model, but the free adventure seemed reasonably well written. It’s basically a choose your own adventure with some combat sections. My only complaint is that the first adventure borrows very heavily from the first city in the Drakensang game - characters, plot, etc. So if you’ve played that, it will seem rather familiar.

Well BaK is a real genre classic, so if you haven’t played it you should.

Still i’m going to argue that RoA is a great crpg series also, and one that you should play if you like old school rpgs. The character generation is excellent, maybe one of the best in a crpg? certainly as good as other well regarded systems used in computer games.

The game itself is very epic and rambling and it adds quite a wedge of detail to the the general game mechanics(e.g. organizing your watch order for when your party camps, and any night time ambush falls on a certain chars ‘watch’, so depending on their skills you get a good or bad start to combat etc). I really liked using herbalists to find herbs and the tbs combat really left you feeling in control in a good crpg way.

Overall there is a lot to like about it IF you can handle old school rpg’s, and i’d say if you can then you should not pass on it - you get a lot of game time for your efforts, which is a rare commodity these days.

I think he actually wrote all those snippets for the game, which would explain him nailing his own style so well.

No, he didn’t write anything. He got everything for review though. The authors are Neal Hallford and John Cutter, I’ve read in a post with a reference to Feist himself in the novel.

This times 1 million. Install Gibberlings 3 mods and enjoy for many, many hours. (I recommend the skip Irenicus’ dungeon mod, and enjoyed the Auren Aseph NPC mod).

Wow, I recently discovered that one of my webdev colleagues was a Dynamix developer for a long time. He was apparently disappointed to hear that my favorite Dynamix games were Tribes/Tribes 2, rather than Krondor which was his big project. He’s since abandoned PC gaming, but is still passionate about his Pathfinder campaigns.

5 out of 10 on thread necromancy; includes applicable reference to subject, but really doesn’t have anything to do with subject.

What did he do on Krondor?

I guess this is a decent place to post this…

The Digital Antiquarian has reached Betrayal at Krondor. Makes for a fascinating read.

Mr. Maher has the best old-school gaming history site on the 'net.

Heh, I don’t think I ever got around to really playing either of these. Damn backlog.