Betrayal in game

It was a great twist, unfortunately, it stopped any desire whatsoever to continue the game.

Kerrigan. That bitch. Or did I betray her? I can’t remember who betrayed who first, but I know there was some betrayin’ going on.

SPOILARZ

Constantine in Thief (the movie/story with this one actually freaked me out so much that I had to stop playing for the night).

Kent in Dead Rising was good.

Julius in Saints Row 2.

“Daddy” in Hitman.

Anachronox. You know… the one at the end.

Does Otis from Dead Rising count?

Being phoned constantly while battling zombies certainly felt like he was trying to get me killed.

I was thinking the other day about how common a trope this was in games. I was playing through Bioshock and Persona 3, assuming someone would betray me and trying to figure out who it would be. I haven’t finished Bioshock, but I was correct about Persona 3. It just seems wrong to me that it seems that not having a betrayal in a game is a bigger twist than having one these days.

Edit: It’s also funny that every Metal Gear Solid is listed on giantbomb’s Double-Cross list. You’d think Snake would figure it out the second or third time someone betrayed him.

Edit2: God of War had an unreliable narrator?

Damn you, stole my joke, just like this game stole my heart :-D

Ultima V had a (potential) betrayal that forced the player to climb back to the surface from The Abyss (that’s through The Abyss then through another dungeon) and then back down again.

For sheer fuck off value, that’s hard to top.

I consider Trebor to have betrayed me as well, now that I think about.

People actually USE Yoshimo? That’s the biggest shocker to me.

I’m not very spoiler sensitive, so I don’t care one way or another, really, but spoiler tags that actually mention the specific game being spoiled are probably a good idea. Eg.:

SPOILER FOR BALDUR’S GATE 2…

(Spoiler here)

Otherwise people who are very spoiler adverse and who haven’t finished every game ever made up until now are at risk of being spoiled randomly or just ignoring the whole thread when they might want to participate in it with regards to games they have already finished.

that’s my first response too at reading it.

Quoting spoilers without spoiler tags isn’t exactly helpful either. Thanks SpookyKG.

Saduj!

I believe you did the same to me. Devour the newbie.

EVE Online.

Yeah, but that wasn’t really a betrayal so much as surprise buttseks.

Ah…ah CRAP.

hides head in hands

There have been a lot of games where I felt betrayed. By the developers, anyway.

:-0

Fair point, I made the edit. BG is old enough now that i didn’t think it too major, and if you’re wandering into a thread that talks about major plot twists in games chances are you’re gonna get hurt.

Seriously now, there’s Baldur’s Gate 2 spoilers here.

Man I thought he was pretty good. And every other time I played it I took him along just to feel that burning anguish all over again.