Better Call Saul

I’m sure Tom will be along to explain what we both missed.

He also seemed fond of her busom region.

-Tom

Apparently not.

All I can say is that if, $Deity Forbid, I am paralyzed by one of my drug empire’s unhappy underlings, that I too remain all about that Bass, No Treble.

I think the most ambitious narrative Better Call Saul could attempt would be telling the story of Jimmy and Kim’s relationship disintegrating thoroughly but unremarkably. No grand tragedy, no outside threat, no danger, Kim doesn’t die, she’s not chased out of town by drug dealers, she’s not arrested in collateral damage for one of Jimmy’s mistakes. They just grow apart painfully and slowly.

(Edited to spoiler the below paragraph—nothing spoilery for BCS, but it occurred to me it’s possible someone might watch this before Breaking Bad)

Episodes like the one this week make me think they could pull it off, but I think it will still be incredibly hard to sell the finality of their inevitable breakup if there isn’t some truly irreversible event to explain why Kim is never even referenced or thought of later in Jimmy’s life (i.e. during Breaking Bad).

I’d be surprised if they ultimately do this, but the idea at least occurred to me this week.

Totally not the sort of thing the writers would do, but if this were any other series the final scene would be Kim walking into Cinnabon.

mikey

Why did that scene in tonight’s episode look so familiar (the one where Nacho and his associate are collecting the weekly “take”)? Was that a repeated scene from an earlier season or from BB back when, maybe with different characters?

I think it was basically the same scene from Season 1 or maybe 2, but Nacho has taken Hectors role as the enforcer.

When I mentioned I love to see a bunch of episodes on Saul Goodman, criminal lawyer, this was exactly what had in mine, creative defense like this one…

So I guess that instead of growing increasingly disgusted with Jimmy, as we’ve been lead to believe, something is going to go wrong badly enough to derail Slippin’ Kim’s career - being fired from that big firm or perhaps even disbarment.

Nice turn, show.

Eh, I’m not feeling it. So now Kim wants to be a Bad Girl? Now she gets all turned on when they’re doing unethical stuff that could imperil their careers? After all these episodes of showing her as a driven career woman with a solid moral compass, it turns out she’s really into the thrill of the scam? Yeah, they touched on that earlier with their shenanigans at the country club, but that struck me as something to justify how they began their relationship, not as the defining element of it. It feels awfully contrived that suddenly she’s so bored with her straight-laced law career that she’s going to, uh, break bad. Ugh.

-Tom

I would agree if not for the show’s habit of pulling the rug from under audience perceptions of characters. I’m willing to buy that the “driven career woman with a solid moral compass” is just a facade. We know nothing of Kim’s past.

Don’t forget the whole scheme was her idea.

I think it might seem a little out of character, but I am not so sure of that. Even in just this season, they’ve been doing a good job of showing that Kim is looking for something, and she cannot figure out what it is. I see Kim’s career driven thing as being more of a sign of some demons/unfulfilled need she’s struggling with. She wanted the practice with Hamlin Hamlin McGill, then the solo practice with Jimmy, then she goes to Schweikart and Cokely, but then while there she really focuses on the small time criminal public defender stuff. She’s sitting in courtroom just observing out of some longing.

Kim has never been comfortable or had balance. She literally nearly worked herself to death, with her traffic accident a direct result of her obsessiveness to find something into which to throw herself.

So I do not think it is a complete departure from the character at least.

Well said, I agree with this. It doesn’t feel inconsistent or out of character for Kim to me to swing back and forth, she keeps looking for something she doesn’t have in whatever she’s currently doing.

I mean it’s not like she hasn’t enjoyed doing some shady stuff before, like those small cons they played on people at restaurants at the beginning.

BCS is good at throwing curveballs, but it seems like the construction plot is going to end with Gus ordering Mike to put a bullet in Werner’s head after everything is completed?

Kim has enjoyed conning people with Jimmy for years. It’s how their relationship first formed, as described way back in the first one or two seasons. She got a rush every time they pretended to be other people to get little things out of people.

Now that she’s completely bored with her job, she’s going all in with Jimmy after feeling the rush of conning people to help let off the little guy.

Based on my view of the last episode, I think that this whole season isn’t about Saul any more at all, but about the fall of two “good” people: Mike and Kim. Both are fundamentally flawed: Mike likes and respects “lawful x”, even when it’s “lawful evil”. And Kim has the same leprechaun soul that Saul has, but not the reptilian resiliency.

Well said! I particularly like leprechaun soul and reptilian resiliency.

The big mystery is where’s Kim? (in Breaking Bad, I mean) Does she just dump Jimmy and move to Schenectady. Or does she end up in the concrete footers under the Chicken man’s lair.

After Monday’s episode I’m betting that something that Jimmy and her pull off goes too far and she ends up taking the fall for it (maybe literally).