Better Call Saul

For me, it then focuses more on “well, how do they get out of this one?!” A different sort of delight/tension in the journey rather than the end and all that jazz.

While that is true, I can still suspend my disbelief. And, in several shows now, major characters can and do die (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Vikings…) Better Call Saul is built on a tension that simply does not exist, especially when they threaten the characters with death, as they’ve already done now with both Slippin’ Jimmy and Ehrmantraut.

In fact, awards given to individuals are always given for one specific episode.

Killing main characters is definitely effective. I’m not sure ASOIAF would have hit as big as it did without it.

ASOIAF?

Game of Thrones (the series is called, A Song of Ice and Fire).

I know I wouldn’t have enjoyed 30 Rock nearly so much if not for the constant suspense about whether Jack Donaghy was gonna order a hit on Liz Lemon.

Another “deliberate” episode last night. I’m beginning to think this show just isn’t for me.

Dey dun goofed the last scene, very obvious cameraman reflection in window.

That was a powerful, really well made episode. Tight camera work, I’m often struck by that stuff with BB and now Saul. I really liked it myself, I was super into the scene with mike stealing the money. I’m actually impressed with how they filmed that.

I’m loving the show, but my wife is out of it. If we were binge watching, I think she would be fine. Waiting a week and then having these slower moving episodes isn’t working for her.

Best written show currently on TV. “Slower moving episodes” is what this show is all about.

I think that might have been my favorite episode of the season.

Also, I need to go back to Alpine Shepherd Boy after the rather delayed realization that it’s the only episode so far with a title that isn’t two syllables and ending in ‘o’. That’s gotta mean something, right?

Liking it so far, but I have a few questions. I guess that most people in this thread have watched and finished Breaking Bad. Nevertheless…

Breaking Bad

What do we know about the fate of some of the characers in BCS? It’s been a while since I watched BB, but I guess we didn’t learn too much about Jimmy/Saul’s background since only was a side-character. So, we don’t know (based on BB) what’s going to happen to Chuck, no?

Jimmy obviously will go into hiding, something the first sequence of BCS builds upon. I wouldn’t be surprised if BCS will pick up there again and tell Jimmy’s story beyond the timeline of BB.

We also know what’s going to happen to Mike eventually ( :( ), but I forgot a few details. In BB he saved all his money for his granddaughter, but he wasn’t on good terms with her mother anymore - or am I misremembering the events?

Looking forward to meeting more familiar characters again. Tuco was a welcome sight. I guess Walter will have to show up one way or another briefly just to tie things together with BB. Gus Fring seems like a sure bet, too, given his dealings with Saul.

It was originally called something else (I think “Jello”), but there were trademark issues so they had to change it. Per the podcast.

This show is growing on me, I have to admit. I can see why it’s losing ratings week after week though. “Elder Law” really isn’t as compelling TV as cooking meth in a beat up winnebago.

You’d think though that if that were the only reason, they would’ve been able to find at least one more title that fit the pattern…

I’m really enjoying this, but something (an ad I think) made it seem like there would be another season. Is that right? I thought this was a one-and-done type of thing? Could explain the slower pace of the story telling, if that’s the case.

Yes, last year AMC ordered a second season, so we are guaranteed a total of at least 23 episodes (10 in S1 and 13 in S2).

Yeah the ad said it was the “first season” I believe. Seemed like a weird way to phrase it.