Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley

That’s what they’re calling the next movie, not Beverly Hills Cop 4 for whatever reason. I always loved these movies and I’ll be there for the next one - kind of interested that they got back a lot of the original folks like Judge Reinhold, Bronson Pinchot and Paul Reiser. And apparently they got Kevin Bacon!

If its like the Coming to America sequel, no thanks.

What a terrible title. In any sane world it would at least be “Axel Foley: Beverly Hills Cop”, but I’m guessing that they didn’t do that because then it wouldn’t alphabetize with the first three movies, and also probably because it’s too similar to “Paul Blart: Mall Cop”.

After Top Gun Maverick made a gazillion dollars, every studio is looking to resurrect any of their 80s hits.

The “resurrect an '80s franchise hero by titling the next, possibly final movie with that hero’s name” thing isn’t quite a trend, but after (just plain) “Rambo” and “Rocky Balboa” I’m keeping my eye on it. At least it’s not that other tiresome sequel thing by giving it a highfalutin’ faux-academic thing like “Axel Foley: Rise of the Beverly Hills Cop” or “Billy Rosewood: Portrait of a Serial Killer”.

Kevin Bacon must be the bad guy in this one, right?

Actually if they wanted to capitalize on current sequel naming trends, they would have to have gone with “The Beverly Hills Cop”.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1726963676580569375

I guess “Tyler Perry’s Beverly Hills Cop:Rise of the Sith Part 2-The Copening” was already taken.

Wait. Wasn’t Taken already taken?

Yikes! Am I out of touch with modern audiences, or does that look really really bad?

It could go either way. I remember sitting in the theater on opening day for Beverly Hill Cop III in the 1990s, and it was sooooo mediocre. I don’t remember it at all, and I never plan on seeing it again. Not bad enough to make fun of, and not good enough to be worth seeing. That’s the worst. Hopefully this one will pick a lane!

From the trailer, it looks like he’s the sergeant of the Beverley Hills PD trying to keep Axel in check.

How do you have a teaser and not include Axel’s trademark laugh?

Also, I do not care for an orchestral arrangement of the eponymous title track.

I’ll be over here, yelling at clouds.

Yes, this was the most disappointing part of the trailer and I can’t totally explain why. It just didn’t work at all.

I forgot all those folks were coming back, even Paul Reiser! How can I not watch this? Oh, right, I canceled Netflix some time back. Oh well!

I was very happy to see Bronson Pinchot.

EDIT: “I’ll take ‘Sentences I Never Expected To Ever Type in my Life’ for $500, Alex.”

There better be a banana in the tailpipe reference. Otherwise, why bother?

This, and especially Judge Reinhold and John Ashton. And I thought John Ashton had died long ago!

same! In fact, I thought Judge had a new partner until I realized Ashton is just old-man thin now.

For a moment I thought they’d recast him with J.K. Simmons!