Beyond Good & Evil 2 officially announced

There was a teaser video from years back, with Pey’j and Jade stranded in the desert in a busted old car. Who knows if that had anything to do with anything at this point I guess.

This one from '08.

Holy crap, nearly 10 years ago. But yeah, that’s the one.

Idea for a bge quest: moral decision, make photos of captured civilians or stop it. Showing that type of journalist dilema.

I had forgotten about the flies. That’s a cool teaser. It’s a shame that game was put on hold. And then when they resumed working on a sequel, that project again was put on hold.

Here was the purported leaked footage from the next time that I’m talking about:

And this parkour footage:

Then you don’t want it to be made by Ubisoft, unfortunately.

Pcgamer is also skeptic

Yup. Ubisoft has been leaning hard into everything being either open-world or multiplayer. That’s the company strategy. They declared that “open world is the future” of gaming back in 2013, and really cemented that policy for development in 2015. Unless it’s one of their quirky non-AAA titles like Valiant Hearts*, don’t expect linear story-driven games from Ubisoft.

*Games for Switch not included.

Open World and “Live Operations”

And to be fair, Ubisoft has become really good at it. It’s not easy working with an army of artists, programmers, designers, producers, testers and managers to produce large scale games with collaboration between different studios across the world. But Ubisoft has obviously got it down to a workflow where they can do that, and that’s really impressive, and they should use what they’re good at.

Well I, uh, I mean I guess that’s good news. Was really hoping for a game though.

Oh dear. I predict it will be worse than the Assassin’s Creed movie, but better than the Uwe Boll Far Cry movie.

-Tom

Why is there a monkey? I remember it being a piggy. Was she a pirate? I don’t remember that at all.

Michel Ancel announced on Instagram that he’s leaving the games industry. :(

WoW ! This little guy has many things to teach to Sam Fisher!
Today is very special for me. After more than 30 years, I’ve decided to stop working on video games and fully focus on my second passion : Wild Life !
My new project takes place in the real world and consists in a wild life open sanctuary dedicated to education , nature lovers and … wild animals.

🎮🎮🎮 video games part 🎮🎮🎮

Many of you might want to know what will happen to Wild and BGE2. No worries, since many months now the teams are autonomous and the projects are going super well. Beautiful things to be seen soon.

May the fox be with you

I’m sad to see him go, as he’s made some brilliant games, but focusing his on passion seems like a great move.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFRbPpnqCxu/?utm_source=ig_embed

Additionally, the senior producer on Beyond Good and Evil 2 has posted that the game has passed an internal milestone**, so yay? As long as I still get to play it someday I’m good. 220, 221, whatever it takes.

** I was going to make some kind of joke about hopefully not needing surgery to pass an internal milestone but thought better of it. Then I unthought better of it.

As we said recently, Beyond Good and Evil 2 is well underway and we are currently concentrating on core development and production milestones.

Wow, what a meaningful statement.

I think my hopes for this game peaked about two years ago. It’s pretty much been downhill ever since.

Goodbye Michel Ancel. I’ll forever remember him as the genius behind Rayman: Origins.

I hope he leads a long and happy life outside the games industry. He’s already got his masterpiece and will be forever remembered for it.

This is never getting released, is it?

Ubisoft’s financials are due next week, so maybe we’ll find out then.