Beyond Good & Evil pc control question

I have a potentially stupid question for those brilliant souls who mentioned Beyond Good & Evil was available on Steam. Does the game install a manual anywhere that I am overlooking?

I’ve played the game for a short bit, and while I’m getting along fine so far, and quite enjoying the style of the game, I sometimes have these niggling doubts that tell me I might be missing out on some controls. Besides, I just like reading manuals.

I was hesitant to post this question as I’m afraid folks will assume I’ve pirated the pc version of the game. I’m not asking for links to manuals or anything like that. But if someone can tell me if Steam places a .pdf version of the manual in a directory somewhere, that’d be great. If not, I’ll muddle by.

Bottom of right panel: http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=15130&cc=CA

Manual: http://www.steampowered.com/Manuals/15130/manual_english.pdf

And do you really need the manual for controls? Why don’t you simply go to control configuration and see the controls???

There is indeed a PDF manual in the …\steam\steamapps\common\beyond good & evil\manual directory. There’s also a configuration program in its parent directory, SettingsApplication.exe, that you can use to change the controls.

It’s a bit surprising that they didn’t add these as right-click options to the entry in the games list, like they have for other games.

just out of curiosity, does anyone else run into HUGE transparency issues while running this version?

[I]Bottom of right panel: http://www.steampowered.com/v/index…Id=15130&cc=CA

And do you really need the manual for controls? Why don’t you simply go to control configuration and see the controls???
[/I]

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I’ve only purchased one game before on Steam, and didn’t realize that’s how you find the manual.

As for the control configuration suggestion, I looked around in the game and didn’t see any such menu in Options. Admittedly, I was tired as hell after a long week of work and might’ve overlooked it, but I did take a look.

just out of curiosity, does anyone else run into HUGE transparency issues while running this version?

Yeah, I’ve had some graphical glitches. Lots of flickering, including a maddening flickering rectangle on the right hand side of the screen. I had the same issue with Psychonauts if I recall correctly. Never did figure out how to get rid of that.

For the flickering, run that settings application I mentioned, go to the advanced page, and turn off the “HW Vertex Processing” option. It fixed it for me, anyway.

No problems with transparency here, though I have heard of others who had the water turn opaque on them when they changed that same option.

For the flickering, run that settings application I mentioned, go to the advanced page, and turn off the “HW Vertex Processing” option. It fixed it for me, anyway.

Hmm, that didn’t work, but I’ll fiddle with the settings and see what happens.

[edit] Woohoo! I turned off “Multi vertex streams” as well and the dreaded flickers are gone. Thanks so much, Fugitive.

I believe that if a Steam game has an associated manual, you’ll have a “View manual” option if you right-click on the game in your My Games tab – so you don’t have to always go through the game’s page.

thanks for the help w/ the app

i’ll play around w/ it some more to see if i can kill my issues