Beyond the Baking Show (née Bake Off)

I’ve been watching this season with the gf. Crystelle is like… unreasonably beautiful. Like a Disney Princess come to life. She’s distracting. Every so often they show her smile and it’s like when Elaine sees The Wiz. She sparkles and a harp plays in the background.

I also don’t like Matt, but Noel is great. I don’t really miss the old hosts but I picked this show up on Netflix so I started watching with Noel.

I find Crystelle often annoying in a “you can’t possibly be that dramatic” sort of way. But then I have that reaction to beautiful, dramatic women so that’s very possibly more of a me thing than a her thing, heh.

I’ve often found Matt to be quite funny, but he mostly hasn’t landed for me this season. Dunno why. Noel is fabulous though, nothing but <3 for my man.

Was it an episode from this season where Prue, talking about a donut: “I want it all the way filled with cream” and Paul and Matt were just cracking up. Prue: “Why are you lot laughing?” Paul: “Because we’re 11.” I heard that exchange from the other room and couldn’t stop chuckling.

Mel and Sue were hands-down sharper and funnier than any of the subsequent hosts. Maybe that’s just to an American sensibility though. Noel’s yearbook comment was “Person least likely to host a television show”, which is a schtick that somehow works for him. I actually think Matt is pretty funny, but haven’t watched any of this latest season, so maybe he’s not great this year.

Noel is great, and if you haven’t seen his turn on Taskmaster, seek that out post haste. Probably their funniest season.

She does have almost inhumanly, uncanny valley, perfect skin. And yes, it’s kind of distracting & that’s not a feeling I have often as a middle-aged person anymore.

But many of the other characters are interesting (and for better reasons) too. The international rivalry between Juergen and Giuseppe is particularly fun. They’re both very good and either could win.

Diego

She definitely is. TBF, the producers don’t seem to cast very often with that in mind. The only other cast member with that otherworldly loveliness that I can think of was Ruby back in Series 4 or 5, and she was a finalist plus she had some weird personality quirks and a definite flair for the dramatic as well.

I would say Crystelle is a finalist-candidate, so they do seem to try to cast with people more for their chops and not just for camera-readiness.

I agree she is a great beaker who also just happens to be the most beautiful woman on Earth.

I’m watching the new episode and the technical is to make a Twix.

It’s a British classic.

I had no idea! I thought it was just American candy.

This week Bake-off: it must’ve gotten a little dusty in the room here.

I hated the name of the theme “free from”. It took me a while to figure out they were saying “free from” not “free form”, and what they meant was “free from <fill in the blank*>”. And by a while, I mean like 3 minutes, but still, that’s a while where I was unnecessarily confused! :)

I’d be curious if next season they can do a challenge where it can be free from all those things at the same time. So Vegan AND Gluten free. Because it seemed like when it was dairy-free, they relied more on gluten, and when it was gluten free, they relied more on eggs and milk.

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode. Matt made me laugh for the first time, and I genuinely couldn’t figure out at the end who was going to get Star Baker and who was going to go.

I just watched the latest episode and I was very relieved at the outcome.

Related: 'The Great British Baking Show' co-host Matt Lucas has overstayed his welcome

Noooooooooooooooo.gif

Holy sheeeit. Did not see this one coming.

Was indeed a shock. Maybe the best baker they’ve ever had, and he is gone.

They seem to have fallen in love with Chigs’ backstory more than his baking.

I saw it coming during this episode, I think it’s a matter of when the decision gets hard, the memories get short.

Honestly, I think they made the right choice. Just surprising, because I had him penciled in for the final.

This doesn’t seem to be true if you take the judges at their word. I know I’m not there to taste these things but they seem to really love Chig’s foods the last three weeks, except for this week’s technical.