BF1942 Star Wars mod

Anyone play the alpha yet? Just curious to get some reacations. Here’s the link to it:

http://www.swbattlefield.jolt.co.uk/

Be back in a few hours with my comments. :-)

edit: An a Pirates mod? Ooo, I’ll try that too.

My review: eh.
Pirates mod: eh.

My review: eh.
Pirates mod: eh.

The sounds are fantastic, but the textures seem lacking. It’s as if some areas of the map were done in only a 16 color palette (such as the spawn point for the rebel base).

Flying the tie fighters and snowspeeders if you have a joystick is great fun. Although walking around in an AT-ST isn’t much of an experience, getting blown up in one is a hoot: you’re trapped in the cockpit as the walker falls over, with the world shifting perspective as you go down. Hilarious.

The basic light infantry troops are pretty effective. The light infantry have unlimited ammo (which I find hard to get used to for a bf1942 game) and have an effective zoom mode for the scope. So why they have snipers in the game with bullets is puzzling. Then again, a few snipers at long range got me, but they just feel out of place. I find it annoying to play heavy infantry. The graphics are way off and appear to be place holders for now, but it’s mostly the inaccuracy that drives you crazy. I hardly played the engineer class, but they can set up some sort of, well, I’d call it a machine gun, like the mg42 if this were World War II. But my Star Wars lore is a bit lacking, so I’m not sure what to call this thing. Maybe it’s a mortar; I dunno, I kept getting killed when I tried setting it up, so I went back to the more fun light infantry.

I’m not too sure if the laser turrets work against infantry – so far I’ve found it impossible to hit any soldiers I see and had no problem rushing any myself when on foot, but they pack a punch against other structures and vehicles if you can hit one.

It has promise and makes for a good starting place. Fanboys will love it, but it’s no where near Desert Combat status yet.

Well, I wasn’t really looking forward to reorganizing my HD space to make room for a BF1942 reinstall anyway.

Has anyone happened to try out that SW module for UT2k3 by chance? I’m not sure if it’s even in development still (or released?), but it looked really promising late last year in early screeners.

The frantic nature of UT2003, which rewards highly accurate shooting, doesn’t make for a good match with the inherently inaccurate Star Wars weaponry.

Anyone want to host the freakin’ files? Their own host is giving me a very speedy 1.2k/s.

If anyone wants to share the love with me (including server files) I’ll host a big ass server tomorrow on my 100mbit line.

It has promise and makes for a good starting place. Fanboys will love it, but it’s no where near Desert Combat status yet.

It’s alpha, so perhaps they’ll improve it.

The Star Wars universe needs better munitions suppliers. Imperial armor can’t defend against a single blaster hit and At-Ats can be defeated by Ewoks using stoneage weapons.

Corrupt defense contracter kickbacks.

Having tried it for an hour or so, GC feels to me like a inferior version of Tribes 2 (the ice-maps) more than anything else. Not exactly what Battlefield 1942 needs. The map was really boring as well.

However, you do learn a interesting shortcoming of the Empire - they cannot design combat vehicles. The view from inside the AT-ST walker is like looking out of a metal tube at your surroundings. The lack of any gyro-stabilization means this narrow view will be bouncing around with each footstep. A company of rebels could be linedancing around your feet and you wouldn’t notice.

Nah, I’ll stick to Eve of Destruction for my BF1942 mod-needs. Desert Combat is sort of fun in short burst, but making everything faster and more powerful is really a short-cut to action that ruins much of the game in my eyes. DC feels like BF1942 for kids.

/ Mattias

http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/battlefield1942/modifications/

The frantic nature of UT2003, which rewards highly accurate shooting, doesn’t make for a good match with the inherently inaccurate Star Wars weaponry.

http://www.ut2003troopers.com[/quote]

The “Troopers” mod’s combat seems to emphasize skill rather than just run-n-gunning and racking up kills stats. What that particular demo DID show was that they have a very polished and professional mod in the making. I’m really looking foward to the full release.

As far as the BF 42 SW mod, it needs some time is all. I wasn’t exactly impressed with Desert Combat on first try way back when but look at it now, they’ve surpassed the original game as far as quality and gameplay is concerned. Another few updates and I’m sure it’ll be just as popular as DC (same with Eve of Destruction).