Biden responds to his Onion articles

No, really.

Vice President Joe Biden has seen The Onion parodies of him, like the one titled “Shirtless Biden Washes Trans Am In White House Driveway,” and says: “I think it’s hilarious.”

Biden told Anna Robertson of Yahoo! News: “I saw the one of me washing a Trans-Am automobile in the driveway shirtless with tattoos all over myself and out there. By the way, I have a Corvette-- a '67 Corvette– not a Trans-Am.”

Best VP ever.

Yep, that was an awesome response.

A pretty conservative Republican I work with told me “Dammit, I like Biden. I don’t LIKE that I like him, but I’d rather have a beer with him than anyone else in all of Washington.”

Surprising in a way that he’s not been able to translate that likeability into a powerful presidential run.

Maybe it’s because he can’t seem to stop saying foolish things?

I will always dig Biden for “A noun, a verb, and 9/11.”

You know the other thread where there was talk of folks with a 125 IQ trying to pass themselves off as having a 140 IQ?

That’s more or less Joe Biden, IMO…

(Not the big words so much as the intellectual pretenses without quite having the brainpower to pull it off well.)

I think you’re being a little unfair to the guy. He’s one of the most sincere politicians you’d ever meet. Maybe not the most brilliant, although he certainly has a lot of experience.

I missed the other thread, but WHAT?!

Qt3 is a strange place if people with 125 IQs are derided as pretenders. Do you realize that someone with a 125 IQ is in the 95th percentile for intelligence?

One of my favs

Doing and saying whatever the hell you want, whenever you want, is trying to pass yourself off as more intelligent?

Somehow, just one “Buh” doesn’t seem enough.

Also, love IQ in general. Let’s start measuring intelligence as a function of a bunch of culturally constructed logic tasks and sum the result up as a number!

Let’s have this argument again!

OK, but only if we can argue circumcision simultaneously.

Dude doesn’t seem capable of editing himself, nor does he care what a pundit might think of what he says. We moan about our politicians not being “real” enough, not exhibiting candor…and then along comes Crazy Joe Biden who is about as real as it gets.

Does he make me cringe sometimes? You bet. But the more I get to know him, and the more exposed to him I am, I can’t help but really like him.

After the least likeable vice president in American history, I’m glad we ended up with possibly the most likeable.

I think Phil is just mad that his wife thinks Biden is sexy.

Wow, I would not have expected someone to describe Biden as sincere.

Have folks here seen the interview from, I think it was the 84 or 88 election? Biden makes a bunch of ridiculous lies. That’s basically what killed his campaign, the fact that he was widely regarded as a liar.

No, wait, I’m not ready for these truths, Timex! Don’t tell me again that POLITICIANS LIE. I can’t handle it, man!

I love that conservatives who say stupid things are idiots and all that, but when a liberal like biden does it he is sincere, real or likable. Wonderful double standard around here as usual.

No, Biden is likable because he’s likable. Huckabee is likable too. I think his stances on social issues are horrific, and I’d never vote for him in a million years, but I’d be happy to have dinner with the guy or whatever.

Romney isn’t so terrible policy-wise for a Republican, coming out of MA (though he tacks to the right on the national stage for appearances), yet I think he’s a towering dink and spending any time with him would be torture. Kerry comes off like a big boring stiff (though I hear he’s looser in private).

In other words, I can separate ideology from personality.

Another distinction: Biden for the most part comes of flike a guy who sometimes lacks a filter, and who is intellectually curious but sometimes gets in over his head. He said some ridiculous racist nonsense about Obama back in the day, but you could tell in his head he was being complimentary.

Most of the conservatives who say things I have contempt for, not merely disagree with but actively have contempt for, strike me as being 1. Malicious, or 2. Deeply and proudly intellectually incurious, or 3. Simply outright lying for sheer political gain. I don’t mean the sorts of truth shadings all politicians engage in, but straight, repeated statements that are demonstrably or cartoonishly false.