Bill Richardson: Democratic rising star

Funny guy.

But Richardson also gets very fine national coverage. This can’t be explained by a local hiring spree, and any reporter who is honest with him or herself should be able to guess the reason: Richardson provides some much-needed relief from canned speech. I remember experiencing this myself back in 1994, shortly after Republicans regained control of the House of Representatives. I told Richardson, who was a congressman at the time, that I was planning to write an article about House Democrats. He cut me off in midsentence: ‘‘Aaaaagh, are you going to write that we don’t have our [expletive] together? Is that what you’re going to write? Because maybe we don’t, O.K.? But don’t write that.’’ I came away stunned. It occurred to me that I had forgotten what real speech, not to mention genuine sentiment, sounded like. I had forgotten that it didn’t always come out of a test tube.

I’d say that’s one of Bush’s strengths as well. Personally, most of the actual content of what he says in front of the cameras comes off as rather inept, but it’s the style of his speech that convinces many voters that he’s not another canned politician.

I think many people simply don’t care what dumb things you say, as long as you keep those dumb things “real”.

Yeah, but Bill doesn’t seem to exhibit an active hatred for knowing stuff!

The bit where he figures out a couple wants a road named for their Dad in like 30 seconds is funny.

Unfortunately, hating having to know stuff seems to be shared by far too many people in this country.

I dunno, sounds pretty W.-esque to me.

The Democrats have finally found someone as dumb as W? Sounds like they have a fighting chance at last!

Fuck. :(

The Democrats have finally found someone as dumb as W? Sounds like they have a fighting chance at last!

As a New Mexican, I couldn’t let this one slide. You all got Bill Richardson wrong if you think he’s dumb. And aint nobody in the same game – let alone the same league – as W. for sheer incurious dumbness.