Bin Laden Sends Coded Message to President Bush

After numerous rounds of “We don’t know if Osama is still alive”, Osama himself decided to send George Bush a letter in his own handwriting to let him know he was still in the game.

Bush opened the letter, which contained a single line of coded message:

370HSSV-0773H.

Bush was baffled, so he emailed it to Condoleeza Rice. She and her aides had no clue either, so they sent it to the FBI. No one could solve it at the FBI so it went to the CIA, then to the NSA. With no clue as to its meaning they eventually asked Britain’s MI-6 for help. Within a minute MI-6 cabled the White House with this reply: “Tell the President he’s holding the message upside down”.

(*turn monitor upside down for the answer!)

That was one of the most unfunny anecdotes I have ever read in my life.

Did I accidentally click on QuarterToThirdGrade.com?

Accidentally?

You’ve been here over a year now, Denny. Look at all the me-mes, the beaten-to-death in-jokes! We’re so cool! HRose predicted this in his blog 6 months ago! Kitsune mixes it with urine before drinking it! Jose Liz didn’t know whether to get his education at QTTG.com or Yale! SHIT!? QTTG!

Jose Liz seems like quite the celebrity around these parts.

Over a year? Denny’s been a part of Quarter to Three since the doors opened in 2000.

I met the man in person and I shook his hand!

But it’s been Quarter To Third Grade for about a year now.

Maybe more, but definitely a year.

You’re still here why? Oh, to bitch. Gotcha.

In Soviet Russia, Tom Comes First.

Did he have an effeminate grip? Was he standing behind a million dollar podium?

Did he hold it just long enough that you started getting uncomfortable?

There’s still lots of good material here, but - in my opinion - the signal to noise ratio has gone down significantly, in no small part due to the constant attempts of people trying to make the cleverest inside jokes. The other thing that really drags here are people putting words in others mouths - such as your post, for example. It immediately turns discussion into bull-headed debate. I’m as guilty as anyone, I suppose, but it’s a trend i’d like to see reversed.

It immediately turns discussion into bull-headed debate. I’m as guilty as anyone, I suppose, but it’s a trend i’d like to see reversed.

Then why start it up again with a snarky reply to a perfectly reasonable observation? Steve’s “Bush holding the message upside down” joke is not only childish and snide, but it’s pretty old.

If you don’t disagree, why do you feel the need to weigh in and contribute to the very same problem you’re going to kvetch about less than ten posts later?

-Tom

I don’t recall making any silly in-jokes, nor was I putting words in Denny’s mouth. So I fail to see how I’m contributing to any problem I’m complaining about. I admit my addition to the thread is neither on-topic nor highly productive, but it isn’t hypocritical either.

What else could you post in a thread like this? A well thought out thesis on the nature of silly jokes that probably come from forwarded e-mails?

If you come to CES Mogg, you can smell mine!

And although in-jokes can be a little too esoteric, does it really matter in the case of some dude posting something a little long in the tooth?

Of course, I can dig it to a degree, since doing a keyword search isn’t as easy as it once was (for the time being, anyway). Beyond that, the inverse of the rule works, too. It’s a little tacky to be all I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU CLOWNS ARE ON ABOUT when it’s like your 3rd post. You can lurk awhile, you know? I did, for about 2 months, and then (IN-JOKE ALERT) Captain Cookiepants told me to come register here under my own name because he though whomever was anonymously making fun of him over here was me, that paranoid bastard. Anyway, in-jokes are behaviorally sound and a natural outgrowth of a subpopulation of any type, not just forum internet dudes (note dude in this instance refers to the fairer dude-sex types, and I don’t just mean Sparky in her Rommel get-up).

Sorry guys. Do we only want hip jokes in this forum?

I just thought it was a cute joke my wife forwarded me. Had no idea it would get a dozen replies on the nature of conversation here at Quarter to Three!

I am just an old retired Air Force dude from the Korean war era, who refuses to use smilies, so you have to expect this from me. I just stopped typing all in CAPS last year!

Not necessarily, hip, but it should be funny. Cute and funny don’t have a large intersection (at least for me).

Since you’re old and all, here’s an old joke for ya:

A 75-year old man went to his doctor’s office to get a sperm count. The doctor gave the man a jar and said, “Take this jar home and bring me back a sample tomorrow.” The next day, the 75-year old man reappears at the doctor’s office and gives him the jar, which is as clean and empty as on the previous day. The doctor asks what happened, and the man explains, “Well, doc, it’s like this. First I tried with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but nothing. Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, but nothing. Then her left, but nothing. She even tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with the teeth out, and still nothing. Hell, we even called up the lady next door, and she tried with both hands and her mouth too, but nothing.” The doctor was shocked. “You asked your NEIGHBOR?” The old man replied, “Yep, but no matter what we tried, we couldn’t get the damn jar open!”