Bioshock -- every family member needs their own copy

Vista is pushing forward the idea of multiply account and no longer running everything under admin.

There are plenty of parents and other people that do set up multiple accounts and by mentioning parents, I am not necessarily saying that their kids are 12.

Now this is really interesting. Can you elaborate some more on this? If the GFW requirements are conflicting with the game’s DRM then that’s a spicy meatball worth looking into. It also tends to point towards the notion of this issue being more of an oversight than a planned, moustache-twirled conspiracy.

It called out a little bit of the details in my reply about 2 posts up.

I have no doubt that this is oversight territory, but most of these options or decisions on the PC restrictions did not come in accidentally, but rather someone had to turn these options and such on, from their default off setting.

I cant see how you really consider your tag to be seperate from your xbl account. it’s the name of the account. the tag actually turns silver or gold depending on your membership status.

I gotta say, I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed anything like this in my time here. You are a bigger man than most, sir.

I’m in that boat right now.

I didn’t read up on this game at all. I don’t know much about it. I know that many posters here are foaming at the mouth over it, so I’ve been meaning to pick it up and try it out. I can’t go into any Bioshock thread for fear of reading spoilers, but there was one I went in that mentioned a limited number of installs. I find this unreasonable.

I’ve been having quite the internal debate over it. After all, it really won’t affect me personally. It just kind of pisses me off. Now there’s this. It won’t affect me either. Still, it pisses me off. I have a condition called Cutting Off The Nose To Spite The Face -itis. It’s been with me since childhood. I know that me not buying this game is going to hurt me more than it’s going to hurt 2K Games, but I’m sure as shit not buying it now.

Alex, your arguing with the Can’t See It From My House, Why Should I Care? stance is…troubling.

Because I have many games that my girlfriend plays on her account, and which I play on mine.

If Bioshock sets an accepted precedent of requiring multiple copies for multiple users, any person who has ever shared a PC will end up being forced to buy multiple copies in a non-concurrent PC gaming situation.

Since you are so diehard that this isn’t a problem, I assume that you either live alone or have a computer per person. Not everyone has that luxury.

No, I just use a seperate account for all of my gaming. It just makes sense. You don’t need many of the processes running when you’re gaming that are either on by default or that you really do need when working or surfing or whatever. By having a designated Games account, I can streamline (as much as is possible via an account) what runs and what doesn’t, so that I have more resources free for my gaming. The fact that I won’t ever run into problems with this notion of multiple users=multiple copies is just a happy side effect.

Seriously? It’s troubling? What are we talking about here? Some significant right of mine, as a citizen, that is being stripped away? No, we’re talking about a pretty insignificant manifestation of DRM that was probably in some way accidental. I’m not arguing from any “It doesn’t affect me, so why care?” standpoint, either. I’m arguing that it doesn’t affect most everyone and to those it might affect, it can easily be avoided by using smart computing practice. Really, I highly doubt this whole thing was intentional and, as such, will probably be corrected pretty quickly. However, if it was on purpose and 2K intends on keeping it around, then the solution is not one of cleverly circumventing the DRM but rather simply just observing a wise practice in keeping a distinct and seperate Games account. Your games will run better, the per-user DRM won’t ever be an issue, and you’ll have a cleaner user environment for each account because of it.

It’s only the rare-in-the-wild screwball that actually has a dedicated “gaming” login. Pretty much any family household I’ve visited has a WinXP PC with logins for Mom, Dad, Sis, Bro, and little junior. That’s the norm, and that’s where Bioshocks account restrictions are likely to adversely affect a sibling or child. The terrific advantage of games supporting multiple users has been the per-user game settings and savegames. I’m incredulous re: your incredulity over this issue.

It’s been my experience that the norm is most everyone uses the built-in Admin account as their standard login. The fact that this issue is just now showing up tends to support the notion that everyone using their own accounts for playing different games isn’t quite standard.

Also, most games don’t save user settings per user profile, at least not the majority of games I’ve played. They save their settings to a singular config file located in the game’s directory, with only a sparse handful of games going the route you’re speaking of and saving them in the Documents and Settings folder per user. I agree that they should, but they just don’t, usually. This may change with the GFW initiative, however.

Oh, and thanks for the insinuation that I’m a “rare-in-the-wild screwball” - I find that to be a very constructive comment that greatly contributes to the discussion at hand. Thanks!

Oh, and thanks for the insinuation that I’m a “rare-in-the-wild screwball” - I find that to be a very constructive comment that greatly contributes to the discussion at hand.

The fact is, he’s right. You’re the first person I have ever heard of who uses a seperate account for gaming. The rest of the population doesnt do that and, while I’m happy for you that you aren’t affected by this bullshit, you’re firmly in the very small minority.

Any similarities between Alex Dolce and a rare-in-the-wild screwball are entirely coincidental.

On the subject of games respecting multiple user accounts, these are just the games from my own PC’s My Docs folder that honor multiple users configs:

BF2
BF2142
Bioshock
C&C3
Deus Ex - Invisible War
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
ET: Quake Wars
Gothic 3
LoTR Battle for Middle Earth (1 & 2)
Company of Heroes
GalCiv2
Oblivion
Prey
Rise of Legends
Civ 4
Titan Quest
NWN2
LOTRO
Rainbow 6: Vegas

It’s entirely common for games released in the last two years.

Putting game saves and the like out of the Games Directory and in a My Documents folder seems to be pretty common these days. Isn’t that one of the big initiatives of GFW as well and supposed to play nice with Vista’s new Games Directory?

I will say that in our house my wife and I both have separate logons. It seemed the natural way to go so she can have her own desktop background, favorites. default email, etc. However this issue wouldn’t affect us because she isn’t a gamer.

Yup, it took a whole two weeks for this issue to reach the attention of the Qt3 forums and thus it should be disregarded. Everyone knows that ten days is the limit for Major Issues.

Also, your delicate fucking sensibilities are a little out of place. I’d say people are being very kind, considering I’m now 98% sure you’re trolling your ass off.

Am I, though? I find it curious that, amongst all of the sudden outrage being expressed here now, the issue has not come up here before the post reporting it from somewhere else. My point is, obviously, that in spite of all of the anger being displayed towards this apparent effrontery to the gaming community, not one person here - not a single one - has been touched by this apocalyptic event. I find it difficult to accept, then, that I am firmly in a very small minority when it seems that the overwhelming majority, at least here at qt3, is sitting in the same boat with me. I haven’t been affected by this “BS” and, truth be told, neither have you or anyone else who’s suddenly outraged.

Charles has attempted to build an argument around what I’m supposing is a slippery slope notion, and that’s something I could potentially get behind if he’ll elaborate a bit more on it. However, beyond that, most everyone is simply raging against something that has not, and probably will not, ever touch them.

I suppose I stand corrected, then. I guess I just play too many older games, or that I edit config files in the game’s directory and it seems to work just fine. I’ll accept that more games are doing this, and that’s great. It puts having a singular games account on less steady ground, I suppose, but it still lumps all of your computing into one general configuration category, which just isn’t terribly efficient. I’ll concede the point, though.

I’m sorry you feel the need to think that way. I’ll refrain from addressing you directly from here on, to avoid any further negativity since my views, or at least how I express them, obviously offend you.

How is it anything but inefficient to log in to a separate user account for disparate PC tasks?

This is only true for games that make saves games per-user. The first time your girlfriend overwrites one of your saves by accident because she doesn’t have her own set (as multiple users in Windows now allows and encourages) you might change your tune.

Just so I’m clear before we proceed, are you planning to argue in favor of generalization as being more efficient than specialization?

It’s very unfortunate that these forums also degenerate into every other post insulting someone. It’s hardly worth wasting breath to comment on, except that the beginning of Tom’s BioShock thread showed the level of intelligence that discussions here can have by engaging in detailed discussion that actually elevates the experience of playing a particular game. That lasted for a bit because the thread was lightly populated due to spoilers, then the special moment was gone.

Second best is figuring out the people to ignore (I wish this place had a bozo filter like another forum I’ve used, where you can set people’s posts to not show), and you’ve made a start on figuring out who belongs on that list.