Bioshock Infinite's infinite space, bounded in a nutshell

You quoted my favorite line from the entire review. I guess you are correct though, not many lines like that to be read on IGN. (Sorry IGN)

Low blow!

Any review you do that is more than 1 standard deviation off the Metacritic average should have its comments section disabled.

Oh boi, there have to be easier ways to get features in Rock, Paper, Shotgun. If an angry video game nerd sent you a death threat via a picture pointing a gun at you 13 years ago, judging by the the ruthless and fanatic antics of gamers in recent years, be prepared to wake up with a severed Yoshi head next to you. Judging by the the ruthless and fanatic antics of gamers in recent years for criticizing the spiritual successor of this generation's highest rated FPS.

I didn't read any reviews for this game until after I'd beaten it because I didn't want to taint my impression of it with outside opinions. While I can agree with some of the points made here, I ultimately thought that it was a far better than described. Yes, it wasn't a truly open world experience, it was on the rails of the narrative, but I see that as a valid choice, not a flaw. I don't think all games can be all things, and it's ok when they do only some things, if they do them well.

I'd love to see some kind of "Bioshock Infinite^2" or something that took a more open world approach to Columbia, but I found the setting extremely charming (at least partly due to my love of all things Disney World).

I think the only major problem the game had was the inevitable, that it couldn't be as shocking as the first Bioshock because we've already played the first Bioshock. If they had made a completely different game with no similar gameplay or style then people would wonder why it even shared the name. Accepting that this was a game that came out after Bioshock did, I think the various flaws it had add up to fairly negligible difference in the overall quality of the game, which was entrancing and entertaining throughout.

again hating because mum has born you out of her ass?

hey why not calling your side Quarter to Hate or Quarter to Unresolved Childhood problems? stupid hating fucks

This is a pathetic waste of site. You should be ashamed

You're just feeding the troll with comments like these. Tom grinds them up, gently pours them in a capsule, and takes them orally twice a day to sustain himself. Clearly he takes pleasure in the power he holds over aggregate sites. Don't feed the troll.

"I mostly blame the Unreal engine for undermining what Infinite wants to do."

Spoken like someone who knows little about game development.

Next time you are going to review such a high profile game can I suggest you
complete it first.
Infinite really grabs attention in the closing stages, but with no mention of options, coins, birds or cages, light houses, a finger, or such like It sounds like you played for a few hours but felt more worried about getting the review out for release instead of giving a full opinion.

especially myself being in the industry, knowing most journalists received the game Saturday or for some Monday morning with the game released Tuesday

Unless of course, you felt necessary to intentionally detract from a massive game to get website hits.
Shame on you quartertothree, I can only hope the reviewer isn't relied upon for future AAA title reviews as this has really damaged your reputation.
hopefully we don't have to see such a poor excuse for a review again

and no doubt Metacritic's average of 90+ even with your review shows that dozens of other critics are right, and you my friend, shouldn't be in the business.

regards, a Gaming Journalist.

Tom makes some good points here, and in some ways, yes, the first two games's systems definitely played well in more cramped environments. Here's hoping that Elizabeth does play a more active role in the DLC (playable?), and, imo, that connect Infinite with Bioshock I more directly. Haven't finished Infinite yet, though, due to being a completionist as well as looking doe-eyed at all the art deco and scrounging for items. So far, still very impressed with it.

I have played the game.

I am a huge fan of Bioshock 1 and 2.

I gotta be honest. Bioshock infinite, although fun to play, has left me under-awed. I agree with everything this reviewer has said...reluctantly. I want to love this game as much as I did the original...but play it for yourself and be your own judge...you might find that all the media-hype surrounding this game is just that - hype.

That said, I have enjoyed playing it and will definitely play it again...but I still dream of Bioshock. I will never dream of this once I have finally 100%'d it.

That's the whole problem though. They did destroy that feeling. I never felt like I was Booker. I couldn't even bring myself to like Booker. He talked a lot but mostly about inane things. Even when Elizabeth was around he never bothered to talk with her about things real people actually would have. Occasionally he would just turn into a raving lunatic and act questionably. That might be believable for someone who survived the same traumatising events he did prior to the game's story, but unless the player has the same background it makes him harder to relate to. He could be an interesting movie protagonist, but in a FPS it doesn't work very well.

If you want people to relate to your game protagonist who has strong opinions and a polarizing character you need to let people make those choices themselves. You can't put words in their mouths and make them follow a rail. As problematic as silent protagonists can be, it's much easier to impose yourself into them.

Tom was right on the money with these comments.

what gameplay?

how dare you ruin something as meaningless and irrelevant as the metacritic score? don't you know those scores save lives!?

I'm not sure what you find better about the gameplay. It's much more simplified, and in a way that's more limiting for the player. Hacking is kind of broken the way it's time limited on machines, and yet when you try and take out turrets before the time runs out the game tells you not to attack your allies. The two guns thing is something most reviewers complained about back when Duke Nukem Forever did it (and they had the good sense to fix it).

That's an odd complaint given how precisely Bioshock Infinite has been targeted at the COD audience. This game isn't really that different from COD. Same scripted events, same story on rails. But hey, COD sells well so who can blame them?

I finished the game the other night. I didn't have an opinion on this review until now. The verdict? Other than your Jouney review, I have never ever disagreed with someone's critique as much as this. Maybe you need to play through on the PC or just give the game another shot because I think you're absolutely batshit crazy.

But the biggest question of all is who fucking cares. Its a FPS you are the character, you are making your own experience. If you want to see faces play third person shooters. And you just contradicted yourself. You said you see his face more than once then why the fuck are you bitching about not seeing his face. Bioshock infinite is one of those games that does not come around often. It is a true gem. For real though check what you are saying before you review something. This game is getting massive appraisal and right now you are the only person that has said something negative about it. That says something. And it also says that you either do not like these type of games or you played it too fast. This is a game that you take it slow read everything, listen to everything. Pay attention to the story. Irrational games does not like doing cut scenes so your not going to see a face to go with his emotions. That,s why this game is so good because you are not getting dragged out of the experience by a stupid cut scene. You are Booker Dewit and that is the whole point of a FPS. When this game gets Game of the Year you will look back and say man did I really take the time to enjoy this or is my taste that bad.