Bioshock--what's up with Tenenbaum's accent?

she was a prisoner and then started giving the doctor’s tips and became kind of a terror-doctor-in-training thanks to her own natural interest/ability to pick things up. (Suchong has an audio diary where he says she’s like <<classic composer’s name I can’t remember>> on a harp)

Wow. 11 years after this thread and I’m replying. I was just replaying Bioshock 2 and wondered if anyone else had noticed this and found an answer. She says words like ‘und’ and ‘Herr’ which are German. Her name is TENENBAUM for crying out loud. (German for 'fir tree.) Anyone with a tiny bit of Germanic knowledge shouldn’t need to listen to the audio audio diaries to wonder of she’s German.
For the folks in this forum whining that someone is ‘griping’ about the accent…take a hike. It’s not griping, it’s wondering what the heck is going on here. I’m so confused as to why she’s speaking like a German but her accent is eastern European or Russian. I’ve wondered this for years.

Apparently Brigid Tenenbaum’s father was German but they hailed from Belarus, Eastern Europe. She didn’t go to the Auschwitz concentration camp until she was sixteen, and remained working for the Nazis throughout the war, which explains her use of German vocabulary.

Well, let’s see:

1. Attention to detail bordering on mania fixating on something that most people won’t notice, let alone gets under their skin.

2. Creates an account so they can discuss a topic from an eleven year old game.

3. Necros an ancient thread to restart discussion on said topic.

Congratulations, my good man, I think you’re our kind of crazy. Welcome to the forums!

Ha, I didn’t even remember that I was the OP! :-)

And I thank our new poster for understanding that I wasn’t “griping,” just curious. I’m fascinated by accents, and particularly put off by badly done fake ones (as I recall, that was not a problem with BioShock at all).

This thread bump just reminds me I need to replay the remastered versions of the first 2 games. Damn thread bump. :(

At least in 2018 it’s easy to match the actors to the roles.

TBH I thought the actress who voiced Tenenbaum also did Delacroix in System Shock 2, which is not the case.

Was it Bioshock or Bioshock 2 where people bemoaned the terrible French accent of a developer who was an actual Frenchman?

Been a while since I played either one, but was there a character with a French accent in either?

It was a tertiary character who I only had a few recordings. If I recall correctly - it was one of the developers.

I had wondered about that before as well. From what i can find she is from Eastern Europe, she has a German father and a Jewish family(I assume her mother is Jewish). Perhaps she picked up her accent from her mother. It is interesting that I also stumbled on that Steinman is Jewish not, German.

Sad to see that GunslingersFury never posted again. You must have chased him away.

I thought I was being welcoming!

@divedivedive is a gatekeeper. If new users can’t handle his style of welcoming, they probably shouldn’t stick around. :)

I just bought the Bioshock collection for PS4 with all DLC included for 20$/€ Man, it is something going back to Rapture. The atmosphere of the first hours is amazing, indirect storytelling, world building. Just the random voices, the oldmusic, the madness. And it still looks great (the remaster). And really, could this game be made today? Where you have the choice to kill/harvest the girl or let her go. Really weird. This game sucks you in, Half Life 2 did the same, that’s how you start a game.

Don’t be histrionic, of course this game could be made today. The little sister save/harvest mechanic was deliberately sanitized to an “Are you sure? Y/N” popup dialog, and when harvested they just silently vanish offscreen.

If anything, Bioshock would probably be ever better if made today, because the market has demonstrated that even console gamers can appreciate something more complex than barely-adequate FPS gameplay set in a world designed with all the subtlety of kabuki theater. It might even actually be an immersive sim this time.