Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Reminds me of a mid-90s Schumacher Batman entry. 😳

Hopefully they can fix it up in the editing room.

The movie opens next week, so that seems unlikely. At this point, any video they’re putting out is the final product.

All I’ve seen of this is the Harley Quinn focused trailers. Which does absolutely nothing for me and looks like it could be whacky action pulled from any of a thousand B or C movies of the VHS era. I think the only DC film I’ve seen in theaters in over a decade was WW and it sure looks like my streak is gonna continue.

This kind of reminds me of the action scene in Dolemite where Wesley Snipes stops watching and has a conversation with his DP.

“We’ll fix it in post” – last cry of the damned filmmaker :)

That subtitle is so twee it makes me want to hurl.

All I know is that the Harley animated series (the one with a foul-mouthed Kaley Cuoco) is amazing, and it makes Harley into a genuine bad-ass. Everything I’ve seen about this movie looks to undo all the good will the animated show has fostered.

Salon likes it and considers it worth seeing.

The patriarchy will be dismantled with hand grenades and hair ties. At least, that’s the impression I have after watching the campy, ultraviolent, and feminist-as-fuck “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).” Sounds like a practical plan.

While “Birds of Prey” doesn’t have the consistent whimsy of say, “Deadpool,” it is no two-hour downer. (It also doesn’t have alleged rapist, T.J. Miller, thanks.) Plenty of the film’s tone is light, funny, and subtly paradigm-subverting — women complimenting other women for how well they fight in tight pants! Taking a beat to admire how well they kill bad guys! Shine theory, yo! Frankly, after months now of exhausting hot “Joker” takes and white male rage, a little feminine mayhem feels welcome right about now. Go see it and judge for yourself. Bring a friend. And don’t forget to pack a few extra hair bands for the revolution.

I can’t imagine the mind of one of these Internet MRA assholes who reads that description and immediately tries to organize a boycott, which is of course happening.

Jumping in here before I read any other reactions: Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is the Deadpool of the DC Universe. I really, really liked it. Margot Robbie is infinitely charming and is 51% of what’s great about this movie.

Looks like this one is going to be a marketing failure. It’s getting good reviews, but is way underperforming at the box office.

‘Birds of Prey’ Lays an Egg at Box Office, Set for Worst DC Opening Since ‘Jonah Hex’

I wasn’t planning on seeing this until it hit streaming services (I rarely go to movies, anyway). However, with the good word of mouth, I may get off my @$$ and give it a go so perhaps it will have a bit better staying power than Jonah Hex, at least.

I’ve literally never heard of Jonah Hex before, so I looked it up. And holy shit, what a stellar cast.

the film stars Josh Brolin in the title role, John Malkovich, Megan Fox, Michael Fassbender, Will Arnett, Michael Shannon and Wes Bentley.

Was that a good movie? I can’t imagine a movie with both Brolin and Malkovich being entirely bad.

I was offended by the marketing treatment, which presented it as:
Harley Quinn in: Birds of Prey…and the Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn.

Like, I know she’s the only draw you’ve got in this movie, but it’s pretty dumb sounding. Harley Quinn Presents Harley Quinn in a Harley Quinn story featuring Harley Quinn.

Oh no. No no no no no no no.

I think that fight sequence in the bar did a lot to quell any enthusiasm. That was a horrible decision.

It fits in the universe of the movie. And I’m not sure that releasing one preview scene really impacted the opening-weekend numbers that much.

“Offended” seems like a pretty strong reaction. I don’t know what to say: Harley Quinn is the star of the movie, so they need to mention her in the advertising. And having her name mentioned twice fits with the character and the tone of the film. The story being all about her is a lot of what drives the plot.

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I don’t know that the structure of the first half entirely works, but the performances, gonzo energy and solid, practical action more than made up for it.

I thought it was worse than Suicide Squad, and that’s saying something. It’s beautiful, and Margot Robbie gives it her all. But the story is an incoherent mess and the pacing is all over the place.

What a strange uneven movie this was. I think I liked it I certainly didn’t not like it.

It could really have used batgirl / oracle as a counterpoint to harley as my primary issue (I think) is that the baddie is the main character.

The story jumps around a lot through flashbacks and quick scene changes, but a little disorientation is part of the charm, and it never really gets too confusing.