Birthers: Fringe or Base?

Watch this video of a town hall that shows Republican Delaware Rep. Mike Castle totally getting the wrong read on his constituents.

No offense, but I wouldn’t go to the same group of people for Constitutional scholarship and legal residency analysis, as I would for Truck Nutz advice, or to find out how much furniture I could fit in a double-wide.

The one time I’m glad I read youtube comments.

Oh, and: holy shit these people are unhinged loons.

Those “unhinged loons” are everywhere though. It’s pretty crazy.

I went home recently and a friend’s parents started going off about how Obama “bowed” to a foreign leader. Ugh.

I love how they keep bringing this shit up like it’s a real issue. He’s an American. Get over it. I understand you want to use that as a smokescreen for your racism but it’s time to let it go.

Fortunately the right to bear arms applies equally to everyone!

Rabble rabble! Rabble rabble!

Another crazy thing about that is the religious reverence they have the idea of the state and the flag. It’s bizarre.

The conservative psyche is an interesting thing. The same people who worship at the altar of the state/flag will accuse liberals of deifying Obama. It’s a really bizarre form of projection.

The call to the pledge was some straight up scary nationalist work.

One of the better polisci profs that I had asserted that this is a general American trait, not just a right-wing one. Even mainstream Americans (and some left-wingers) worship the Constitution as if it’s holy writ, rather than just a piece of paper. In a thread not too long ago, one of the posters exhibited a particularly ridiculous strain of this worship, but he was merely an extreme version of what many people really do believe.

The liberals are worshiping at the altar of a rival God. Their reaction seems perfectly natural to me, given their starting point.

At this point going to go with Base.

Distinction without a difference?

That video is amazing.

1776! My father was in WII! THE GREATEST GENERATION! I’VE SEEN SAVING PRIVATE RYAN SEVENTEEN TIMES!

I love how she fails to even identify who she’s talking about.

John McCain?

Alright, which one of you STOLE THIS WOMAN’S COUNTRY!!!

SHE HAS A BIRTH CERTIFICATE! SHE HAS DECORATED IT WITH A SMALL AMERICAN FLAG!!! SHE IS SHOUTING INTO A MICROPHONE AND HAS A WEIRD ACCENT!!!

WHICH ONE OF YOU DID THIS?!!!

I love it.

Any guesses about what Barack Obama’s grandfather did in the 40’s?

Simply brilliant.

No, liberals most certainly aren’t.

Fun video of a United States Congressman trying to dodge the birther question.

jesus

For most of the people who are complaining I don’t think this is really about the birther movement.

It’s just something else to complain about - very loudly. Do they think Obama isn’t really a citizen? They probably couldn’t care less, but the chance that he might not be a citizen means this country is d0med!