Birthers: Fringe or Base?

Yes. Thank you. I was writing about how it appeared from their viewpoint, not what the reality was.

Yeah, because the last citizen president was SO AWESOME! Logically, any non-citizen president is going to be TEH ANTICHRIST!

“Mail this birth certificate to the whacko wing of your party so they see it and say it’s over”.

Awesome.

rush limbaugh is a birther soooo I’d say base

My birth certificate does not say I am a citizen of the US.

It says that I was a “Live Natural Birth” in Melrose Mass. It has my parent’s name and the Dr’s. It also lists my parent’s place of birth. It is a county / state document. I don’t think it’s a federal document.
So I guess if the crazies (or successionists) decide Massachusetts is not a state I’m not a citizen.

My passport (federal document) says I’m a US citizen (born in Mass). These people are beyond stupid.

That congressman is an idiot. How hard is it to simply answer the question? He’s totally playing to his nutjob base. Fuck…

I have little doubt that birthers are the base of today’s Republican Party. I have a couple of these lunatics in my office. These birthers are the same people who claim climate change is a myth, Sarah Palin was justified in quitting and GWB will go down in history as one of the best Presidents of all time.

The scary part is that they’re not uneducated idiots. They’re pretty highly educated, but don’t realize that they’ve been indoctrinated to the point that they’ve gone off the deep end. I hate to Godwin this thread, but they’re very similar to the German populace in the 1920s and 1930s. They’ve steadily moved further and further right after listening to the propaganda spewed by talking heads like Hannity and Limbaugh. As such, their perception of the world isn’t based on reality anymore. For example, I had one of these folks tell me last week that we didn’t have a recession until Obama took office…and she truly believed that she was correct. You just can’t debate with someone like that, because their beliefs have no basis in reality.

There is very little rational, fact-based discourse within a large party of the Republican Party anymore. And every year it seems to become more and more radicalized. There’s little difference between the discourse coming from the far right and the discourse coming from radical Muslims in the Middle East. To me, it’s very, very scary.

Then again, I can’t say I’m surprised. Fundamentalist Christians, who make up a sizable chunk of the Republican Party, have fervent faith in their religious beliefs. Some Republican leaders and talking heads have been very good at tapping that kind of faith. It’s not surprising that there’s been a transference of that faith to the party, it’s leaders and the talking heads. Once that happens, rational thought-process goes out the window. This obviously doesn’t apply to every Republican or every fundamentalist Christian, but I think it’s happened to enough of them that you can’t brush them off as just the “lunatic fringe” of the party.

As Nietzsche said, they who pander to the base might take care lest they thereby become the base, and if you wink long into a palin, the palin also winks into you.

The proof’s always in the pudding. If Republican leaders won’t quash this nonsense it’s obvious that it is the base of the party and not just a lunatic fringe driving the birther movement. When Republicans deny that Rush Limbaugh is a leader of their party and then have to turn around and apologize to him that tells me he is a leader of the party if not THE leader.

Moderate republicans and even “sensible” independents tended to be in denial that this is really what the Republican party is about, that would be obviously insane and politically suicidal, but it’s been painfully obvious for decades now to anyone paying attention to the Religious Right and movement conservatism (which actual paleoconservatives tend to denounce).

If Rush has touched on this already what is keeping Glen Beck? I can’t wait for his thoughts.

Salon’s really hitting this one hard today. Two stories on prominent wingers who seem to be either backing the birther movement or at least not prepared to denounce it:

Lou Dobbs:
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/feature/2009/07/22/dobbs/

Liz Cheney:
http://www.salon.com/opinion/walsh/politics/2009/07/22/liz_cheney_and_birthers/

For example, I had one of these folks tell me last week that we didn’t have a recession until Obama took office…and she truly believed that she was correct. You just can’t debate with someone like that, because their beliefs have no basis in reality.

In other words, we have always been at war with Eurasia.

You think that’s a bad example of goalpost sliding? My seemingly intelligent friend insisted that the 2008 decline was due to anticipation of Obama being elected. When I mentioned that the decline had started in 2007, he then said it was because Obama won the democratic nomination.

Apparently, a black democrat is the most influential financial force in the universe.

H.

Oh yeah, totally. It had nothing to do with the previous 10+ years of fucking up and bubble building. No, it was Obama running for President. Totally logical. Everything was JUST FINE until then.

Why do you have such a person as a friend? There’s different political views, and there’s repulsive dogmatism in service of an ideology. I hope this person is otherwise a saint to warrant overlooking such a deep, deep (and hopefully isolated) character flaw.

As moderates and reasonable people leave the party, by declaring themselves independent, Libertarian or even conservative Democrats, the only people who actually identify themselves as Republican are going to be more extreme.
The echo chambers they have set up to reinforce and encourage these behaviors will move with them.

Lou Dobbs, Rush, Hannity et al are not about getting Republicans elected they are about capturing an audience. If the GOP wants to survive it has to find a way around its own core.

<birthers>: All your base are belong to us.

they set us up Obama

In A.D. 2012
War was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the Obama.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It’s you !!
Palin: How are you gentlemen !!
Rush: All your base are belong to us.
Hannity: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
Palin: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Palin: Ha ha ha ha…
Operator: Captain !!
Captain: Take off every Fox News!!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move Fox News.
Captain: For great justice.

I have a very good friend whose political ideology is a hilarious mix of black nationalism, black helicopters (9/11 truther etc) and Ron Paul. And he’s Canadian! Still a nice guy, though. Nothing if not sincere.