Bitches Brewin': a monthly forum mix-tape

The last five songs are from the new EP. I think only one or two have been in circulation before.

Hā€™okay lads and gentiles, weā€™ve another month. Last month looks a little bit exactly like this, and this month the Desert Rats come out in force.

Whistle up, my pretties, and show me what youā€™ve got.

Iā€™m adding Scannerā€™s 2009 soundtrack for a film (this, I think:Correspondence) that I gather was made for a Belgian art installation. There doesnā€™t seem to be any conventional way to see the film that I can find. Iā€™m sure itā€™s some fusty art project that Iā€™d see and forget as soon as I finished, so whatever.

But the soundtrack the artists commissioned from Robin Rimbaud is quite something. Rimbaud has been working this particular beat (mechanistic soundscapes peppered with isolated voices mostly captured from a phone scanner drifting in and out) for a long time now, and heā€™s really pretty excellent at it.

I feel like this year has been feast or famine when it comes to new music. There have been long periods with nothing quite catching my ear and then sudden embarrassments of riches. Last week definitely fell into the latter category as I discovered the new albums from Wolf Alice, Screaming Females and, my submission for this month, Hop Along with ā€˜Painted Shut.ā€™

Yay, Hop Along! Iā€™ve been threatening to add that album to this mix or the New Music thread for quite a few months now. But I didnā€™t because Iā€™m lame. Not like you. You rock! Love that singer.

Iā€™m adding Sean McCannā€™s latest release called Ten Impressions for Piano & Strings.

This falls somewhere between peaceful, ambient melodies and strange, alien dronescapes. Iā€™ve been using it to embark on my nightly expeditions into unconsciousness for a few weeksā€¦ and last night I dreamed that Kristen Bell and her husband Dax were best friends of ours and she liked me so much and I called her Veronica in playful jest and, oh, how she laughed! We were at a college reunion and we all decided to go on an overnight hike to climb something and we stopped at a sporting goods store so I could buy better footwear. You might say all this sounds kinda dumb, and youā€™d be right, but I was in a state of delirious joy throughout and it was one of the best dreams Iā€™ve had in ages.

Was it the music? Letā€™s go with YES!

THEREā€™S ANOTHER MONTH SAILED ON BY.

So, we leave last month voluntarily marooned here, and start by paying our dues to the King.

The King doesnā€™t seem to have arrived yet, but while we waitā€¦

Iā€™ve added Morning/Evening by Four Tet. Two tracks around 20 minutes each, one called Morning Side (stunning) and one called Evening Sideā€¦ To me, itā€™s the best thing heā€™s done in years. I love how the Hindi vocals intermingle with all the bleeps and bloops.

THE KING HAS LANDED!
His name is Carlton Melton. Sounds intriguingā€¦

Hmmm, I had added the new album by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, an album of pure wigged-out psych from Australia.

I am in some trepidation as to the permissibility of His Majestyā€™s travel to the United States, so his ambassador Carlton Melton shall endeavour to further proceedings in his immediate absence. Should he arrive I shall recall Mr Melton.

Edit: just a little too slow!

But much better writing! :D

Iā€™m adding two EPā€™s by minimal techno-ist Rrose: Eating the Other from last year and the just released For Aquantice EP. I assume heā€™s taken his name from Marcel Duchampā€™s cross-dressing alter ego, Rrose SĆ©lavy. Iā€™m sure someone much more art-schooled that I could make a case for it. All I know for sure is that Rrose has an extremely light & delicate touch for crossing minimalist electronic beats and heavier acidic textures to end up with something way more complex than the sum of itā€™s parts. Iā€™m thrilled to have discovered his musicā€¦this is really great stuff.

Ooch, Iā€™m back, Four. Sorry I doubted you, baby.

This is glorious.

I know, right? I felt the same way. Just ran out of enthusiasm for his new releases but this caught me by surprise. I think working in long-form tracks like this was just what he needed. I love the noodly tones that start happening intermittently under the vocals around 5:20.

From your description, Rrose sounds really promising. Iā€™ll check it out later tonight.

man iā€™ve missed four tetā€™s mid-2000ā€™s stuff. have yet to listen to this new thing, but based on the last few posts, it sounds like exactly what i loved him for

i added this:

Most Serene Republic - Population

some cheery, overly-layered indie rock from 2007. not been feeling like myself the last month, so it seems right to drop some strange breadcrumbs in the playlist for posterity

I keep forgetting to add stuff, but have been listening to this monthā€™s playlist so much that I jumped in.

Iā€™ve added Lianne La Havasā€™s new record, Blood, which I think is bloody fantastic. Thereā€™s a reason that Prince is utterly smitten with her. For some reason, I canā€™t help but think of Tame Impala at times when listening to this, only I think this is MUCH more interesting.

Oooooooh. Iā€™m liking all of this, chaps.

Iā€™m super late to the party because nothing much was moving me this month until this week. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nightsweats is a retro-soul album that, at its best reminds me of Van Morrison or Sam Cooke. The horns and the raw emotion really sell this album for me but I wish the whole thing was as strong as itā€™s highlights. The best songs on this album are flat out amazing but the rest fails to connect and gets a bit tedious.

Edit: Wait, I take it back. The ā€œoffā€ tracks are growing on me. I love this album.

Wow, I missed your late entry until I posted mine. This is fantastic. Candidate for album of the year for me.

Ayup.

So with last month floatinā€™ on down the river, we enter a new month. Iā€™m not so sure how to describe my opening pick, so Iā€™ll let you.

Iā€™ve also been listening to chunks of the stuff RDJ has dumped on Soundcloud, and thereā€™s no-one quite like him. The great thing is how good he is at dipping into other types of electronic music and producing perfect facsimiles with some kind of hard Aphex spin.

Iā€™m adding a rather intriguing new project from Death Waltz Records that attempts to rescore the unscored (all the music in the film was lifted from 70s film soundtracks) 2013 Belgian giallo-horror pastiche ā€œThe Strange Colour of Your Bodyā€™s Tearsā€. The music comes from a bunch of different psych-experimentalist-types, led by Blanck Mass of Fuck Buttons. If you have access to the film (which is sort of famously incoherent but also strange and compelling and way beyond over-the-top silly as anything by Bava or Argento), itā€™s worth trekking back through it with this music playingā€¦it works pretty well. It works equally as well alone, IMO.

spoilered due to blood-bespattered boobs on the cover