Bitches Brewin': a monthly forum mix-tape

You had me at bespattered.

Not at all surprised, but Iā€™m loving the new Richard Hawley album trig put in the mix.

Itā€™s getting so late in September, I decided to just toss in an EP by Joan Shelley. Four pleasant folk songs in the O Brother veinā€¦ Iā€™ve had Stay on My Shore pretty much on endless repeat for the past few days.

Lydia Ainsworth and Gagarin are intriguingā€¦ still havenā€™t tried charmtrapā€™s pick, but I keep seeing it on the shelf at Other Music.

Looks like Kirian got hung up, so Iā€™ll take it upon myself this month. Hereā€™s a link to last month: https://open.spotify.com/user/firestation_towers/playlist/6Fh3KkjnL383hehXIu4bD1

This month: in honor of basically all of the major Muslimgauze albums being added to Spotify, Iā€™m adding one of my favorites from his back pages, Gun Aramaic. This record is from his middle period of dense desert soundscapes, using traditional percussion instruments and layering on middle-eastern-ish voices and harsh dubby breaks. Itā€™s great stuff with heavy atmosphere.

Haha, I just logged in to change things over. I had a reminder to do so last night but last night ran out before I could get around to it. Thanks charmtrap!

This month, some Foals. 'n ifā€™n ya din like it, I got something else fer ya. Enhjoy!

Anyone else want to get in on the fun? Itā€™s great, I promise.

Thanks for the nudge! Sorry for the delay!

I like that Foals and Iā€™m curious about Muslimgauzeā€¦ always saw those albums in shops back in the day but I never took the plunge.

Iā€™ve added Changes by Synkro (aka Joe McBride, one of the guys who did that Akkord album I added recently) which Other Music describes like so:

Changes is a warm womb of sparse beats, analogue synths, cinematic landscapes, and a slow and steady pulse. This is a beautiful journey of melancholic tracks filled with mostly submerged vocal samples, except for the two full-lyric songs featuring Robert Manos and Lyves.

Those two vocal tracks donā€™t do much for me but I do like the overall sound and mood quite a bit.

Iā€™m going to go with an album that gave me whiplash the first time I heard it. A friend of mine recommended Todd Terjeā€™s ā€˜Itā€™s Album Timeā€™ to me and after a couple of songs I was actively hating it and wondering what the hell my friend was thinking. But I kept on and at some point it just clicked and I realized ā€œOh, this is the soundtrack of the best eighties movie I never saw! This is fantastic.ā€

I enjoyed that last one a lot, and itā€™s now available in all good Spotify caches here. Particular props to the Synkro album and the Todd Terje one.

This month, we take the fight to Australia. Oh boy. We do.

Heavy! Short little track lengths too. I like it.

I was gonna add the new Beach House Thank Your Lucky Stars (great album, back to their early sound) but I opted for Deerhunterā€™s Fading Frontier instead. Thatā€™s been in my headphones pretty much non-stop for a week any time Iā€™m out living my life. Somewhere I read the term ā€œnocturnal garageā€ to describe their sound. Love that.

Oh, wow. Thank you!!! I wrote ā€œDH listen newā€ in my phone last week, and over the weekend I was flummoxed as to what I had made a note of. Lots of folksā€“including Senor Mortonā€“calling this fantastic. Cued up for listening tonight!

Meanwhile, triggercut gonna triggercut, but since Pugwash are now darlings of folks like Daniel Radcliffe and Ben Folds, Iā€™m adding their first ever US release. It came out in September, and it has some laggy bits in the middle that are a little too airy for me.

For those new to Pugwash, itā€™s actually mostly an Irishman named Thomas Walsh who used an accident settlement to build himself a studio and indulge in his love for all things XTC and Jeff Lynne. Andy Partridge himself heard them and signed them to his own label and continuse to be a muse and guiding patron.

The new one is called ā€œPlay Intimately As If Among Friendsā€.

I was gonna add last yearā€™s Dean Wareham album because Iā€™ve only recently gotten around to it, and itā€™s really excellent. But thatā€™s old, so hereā€™s a nice autumnal-feeling melancholic chamber pop album from this past spring that bears a passing resemblanceā€¦The Apartments ā€œNo Song, No Spell, No Madrigalā€.

That might be the best album cover of the year at least. If the musicā€™s even half as goodā€¦oh my!

Yeah, the cover is really nice. I got a lovely poster of it for pre-ordering the vinyl. Itā€™s probably getting framed and hung.

Itā€™s also a really excellent album, as a bonusā€¦which many of these reappearances after long layoffs arenā€™t. If you know his previous albums, or have any affection for Aussie indie-pop a la The Go-Betweens or Triffids, this is gonna be a lot like those. He was also responsible for one of the highlights of This Mortal Coilā€™s Blood album, Mr. Somewhere. Excellent songwriter all the way around, though apparently he got sacked from the Go-Betweens for being kind of a twat.

If you like this (or even if you donā€™t), definitely do check out his first album from 1985 ā€œThe Evening Visits and Stays For Yearsā€. Itā€™s just recently made it onto Spotify (I assume because Captured Tracks remastered and reissued it). Itā€™s a definite personal favorite.

Iā€™ve been out of the thread for quite a few months, due to a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that I just havenā€™t heard much recently that was that great. Then I heard about a local band that is making some noise, so to speak. Moving Panoramas is gorgeous guitar pop trio with just the right amount of shoegaze. I know that I have a sound that I like, but itā€™s always amazing to find someone taking that sound and doing something different with it, and they do.

The month where melancholy becomes bitterness is gone. I saw that day, lost my mindā€¦ maybe in time.

This month, a lottery!

I added the Soldiers of Fortune record, the ā€œanti-bandā€ that consists of Brad Truax (lately of Interpol) a bunch of dudes from Oneida, and of course the legendary Matt Sweeney of Chavez, Zwan, Skunk, et al. Guests include folk like Malkmus, Cass McCombs, etc.

Triggercut recommended the new Royal Headache album back in August but I only just got around to it and itā€™s brilliant so, sharing it for anyone else who missed out.

Oops, forgot to do this.

Iā€™ve been rather enjoying the recent A Sunny Day In Glasgow record, Planning Weed Like Itā€™s Acid/Life Is Loss, so I think Iā€™ll add that. Theyā€™re calling it a ā€œDouble EPā€, but it sounds like an album to me. Itā€™s a little rough in places and definitely sounds home-recorded, but I like it in the same way I like Flaming Lips.

I finally got around to Pugwash yesterday. Really liking it!

Woo, new Sunny Day in Glasgow! Excellent. I loved their last albumā€¦ hope this measures up.

I picked up Ciao! Best of Lush last week (on De-Luxe, cherry-red vinyl no less) but Spotify doesnā€™t have it! So, just for you, Iā€™ve meticulously crafted a 16-track playlist facsimile (missing two songs, ā€˜Love at First Sightā€™ and ā€˜Hypocrite.ā€™) Itā€™s sequenced in reverse-chronological order which makes for a very satisfying listen from catchy pop gems all the way down to heavenly sedated. Hope you enjoy the introduction or the re-visitation as much as I have been.

I was just coming to post that I was digging HARD on the Sunny Day in Glasgowā€¦and then without me paying any attention all of a sudden ā€œLadykillersā€ comes on and Iā€™m all like HOLY SHIT! LUSH!

I love Lush. I love them beyond my hopeless 1990s crush on Miki and Emma. They were really, really good. And yes, as Adolf Hitler would tell you, they were utterly fantastic live. That last bit I think surprised the hell out of me. I went to see them in 1996 or so and expected very little; I figured theyā€™d were mostly a studio creation. NOPE. Goddamn did they bring it live. Easily one of the best live rock and roll shows Iā€™ve ever seen, and Iā€™ve seen a few.