Bitches Brewin': a monthly forum mix-tape

I picked up the Lolita Nation reissue at Other Music today. Also got some used albums by Blondie, The English Beat, and Cat Power.

Charm, that cover is insane. And speaking of insane, horrific, charmtrap LP covers, I saw that Blanck Mass soundtrack you shared a while back on sale today but it was still close to $25 so I passed. I still haven’t tried your Autumn Stones from last month! I’ve been spending all my listening time with the WTF podcast ever since Spotify added shows.

I don’t know what to add this month. I NEED MORE TIME. I’M BEGGING YOU, PLEASE!

We’ll have none of your cheek sir. Add something. Honor insists! (My Downton Abbey bingewatch may be showing.)

Verily, didst thou stoopeth so low as to challenge mine honor?! Prithee well and forsooth, I daresay!

So way back in December, I spent loads of time combing through all the end-of-year critics’ lists trying to catch up on albums I’d missed and compiling my annual playlist which I called Vintage Sounds of 2016. After tweaking it for the next month or so, it ended up at a massive 5 hours and 75 tracks. I shared it at the busiest possible time of year knowing full-well that it was way too big for anyone to digest properly.

Ever since then, I’ve been shuffling that mix in the car stereo and I keep hearing songs and wondering if triggercut or charmtrap or kirian or Rightbug or forgeforsaken or any of the rest of the Qt3 music gurus ever heard this or that song cuz they’d probably totally love it.

So, this month I’ve compiled 15 of the most obscure and wonderful tracks from that gigantic playlist and sequenced them into just under an hour of my favorite gems for you bitches. I’m bending the rules severely, but I figure I’d love this from any other contributor so I went for it. Hope you enjoy one or two or 15 of these vintage selects as much as I do!

Just saw those vintage tracks pop up on the list.

Can’t wait to be taken way back to those memorable days of 2015 on a wave of nostalgia.

I’ve listened to most of the OG Sergio Leone Once Upon A Time In America full 2015 mix in some form or other since it went up, I’ll have you know!

Wow! Good thing I cut out the endlessly-ringing telephone.

But…I love that part…

Like do you only send out the current playlist in PM or something? All I ever see are links to old playlists.

Nope, our new stuff is always dropped in the same collaborative playlist called People Have the Right to Music. The links are for archival purposes.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to this album yet so I don’t know how well it will translate but I went to see Red Baraat last night and they fucking tore shit up. One of the most fun concerts I’ve been to in ages. They’re sort of Rebirth Brass Band by way of Bollywood.

I love it! It’s explicitly within the rules to create a mixtape within our album-selection mixtape, and thank you for taking the time to do so.

Pretty much this- it’s saved in the OP and occasionally someone asks for it (edit: this turned out not to be true, it’s now fixed!); I’ll re-copy the OP here in case anyone wants to add a new rule or has been bamboozled by the lack of links. I should probably collate all the month-on-month playlists into a post at some point but I’ve got a huge number of Spotify playlists from before the My Music function; I need to do some work on that.

As a bonus this month, here’s a playlist of seriously creepy stuff I put together for playing Lovecraftian or horror-themed board games. Doesn’t work for zombie games, only for the really creepy games. The Pharmakon stuff is a seriously hard listen so you might want to cut that one.

So there’s this marvellous thing called Spotify, and it has a function known as collaborative playlists. That gave me an idea, and I bet you can guess what it is.

So here’s how it works:

You like music.

You have Spotify.

You let it be known that you want ‘in’.

You choose one (1) album per month and add it to the list. You can do this at any time during the month, not just after list-wipe time.

The list is wiped and re-made every month, on the first-ish. By whoever gets to it first (I won’t be able to this month).

There are some options:

You may come in here and talk about what you've added this month. Please. Please do that.
You may substitute your disc once per month for another one, if you absolutely must. Please don't do that.
You do not have to choose a recent album. It can be anything you want people to hear. Anything. Anything at all. Any genre. Any time period. Please do this.
You may submit a group of singles instead of an album if, for example, the artist(s) you want to highlight don't have any LPs on Spotify. Don't inhale this.
You may use the list to arrange tracks in such a way as to form the summoning ritual of Kur'blezzen the Tumultuous but no other such entities. This is not advised as his avatar, Brian Blessed, already stalks this meagre plane.

NB: there may occasionally be regional issues that mean you can’t hear an album someone posts.

Are we switching to playlists? Because I can do that!

Depends what you mean- the intention was that this is a mixtape for the modern age, where we’re not restricted by the medium in how much of a thing we love we send to someone . If that means you want to highlight a whole bunch of things at once by adding a playlist (mixtape) to the playlist, by all means!

If the question was about switching to an everyone-adds-a-playlist style I think that could end up a bit messy. I think it’s easier to keep things in a single playlist everyone looks at and gets reminded about when Kirian remembers at the start of the month.

If you’ve got something amazing you want to share I ain’t gonna stop ya, everyone loves good music; call it a bonus on whatever you’ve added for the month.

Unless everyone else disagrees and thinks playlists are a great idea, this is after all something like a democracy.

Last month saunters down the road.

This month, we close our oh wait April Fool jokes aren’t funny.

This month, NEVERMEN.

Judging by trig’s facebook page, I’ve got twenty bucks that says April = Trapper Schoepp. Guess he wants to make us wait for it.

Whereas I’m going with the debut mini-LP from Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever called Talk Tight. Twangy, chiming guitar pop from down undah? Good on ya, mate.

Alright I’ll play, with a bit of a twist, each month I’m going to highlight a band from the Boston area, and well western MA too, current or old. To kick it off the unique and weird Think Tree. Like the Idea, the bands sophomore record got some national attention, but it was their 1990 debut eight/thirteen for which they were best known locally. Hire a Bird and The Lovers got frequent airplay on the local alternative radio stations with Hire a Bird even making WFNXs top 500 songs of all time in 99. The band put on a fantastic live performance with lead singer Peter Moore slipping into different characters for certain songs, while synths and samples were played live with no sequencing.

Oopsies, forgot to contribute, then I forgot I forgot. I’ll add a recent album by the terrific Boston band Bent Shapes called Wolves of Want. The obvious touchstones are Jonathan Richman, but I think of The Bats and Los Campesinos!..and oh, really any of the Slumberland Records new school. It jangles in open tunings and ultimately very likeable ways. Going to see them in a few days, and I kind of can’t wait!

Rolling Blackouts is great and put me in the mood for The Oranges Band so that’s what you all get!

Right, chaps, excellent stuff all around and stored now here.
This month, blondes have more fun.

Yes, it’s May! I’ll go with the album that has been keeping me from spending enough quality time with the new Woods LP… That would be Singing Saw, the new solo release from former Woods bassist Kevin Morby. Kind of a world-weary, classic feel. Dorothy grabbed me first but quite a few songs are growers, case in point Black Flowers.