Bitches Brewin': a monthly forum mix-tape

Ok, debated going with something more recent from the area this month, as there’s a lot going on locally as evidenced by Charmtrap dropping the Bent Shapes last month, but decided on another oldie from Boston.

In the early/mid 90s there were a few local bands with a very Curve/Garbage sound. Two that stuck out IMO were Mistle Thrush and Chainsuck. Mistle Thrush signed with Bedazzled records, along with some other locals such as The Curtain Society (whose frontman filled in on guitar for few shows of the recent Chameleons (vox) tour, and is a friend of a friend). I didn’t add Mistle Thrushthis month but feel free to look them up. Chainsuck on the other hand would go on to sign with Wax Trax and put out two records with them. They also have the distinction of being the last band to be signed under the Wax Trax label. Singer Mary Dee Reynolds would go on to work with Pigface, while Chris Connelly ended up contributing to the second Chainsuck album. Still the debut Angelscore is IMO the far stronger of the two releases. My old band also got to play with them on two occasions.

Stephan Mathieu’s BEFORE NOSTROMO: NINE PIECES FOR PIANO, GONGS, SHORTWAVE RECEIVER, TAPE LOOPS AND ENTROPIC PROCESSES

Minutes before the Nostromo crew awakes from hypersleep, each member has a dream.

And you want me to LISTEN to that?

<gulp>

(I finally gave Wolves of Want a listen today while walking the dog in circles around a lake. Really liked it.)

I didn’t want to double up on Woods-ness this month, but just realized I didn’t add anything.

So I added the 8 years-in-the-making Electric Company by Michigan band Starling Electric…which is basically pretty much a dude named Caleb Dillon.

Kind of a cool little pop record, in that it manages to veer pretty effortlessly between a variety of styles while staying mostly cohesive.

Only if you’re man enough, of course.

(Also, I’m not seeing your or Trigger’s additions this month.)

Perhaps that’s because I’m all talk, no follow-through.

RECTIFIED.

Oopsie. Added mine for realsies this time.

SO THANKS FOR THAT HERE IT IS MIKEY I HOPE ALL IS GOOD
IT@S A BIT CHAOTIC IN HERE

LOVE

GRANNY

Hmm, I was originally going to add something recent and indie but now I’m wondering if I should add some recent hip hop instead? Both up and comers making waves in their respective scenes. Preferences?

OK, I’ll play.

My son is really into alternative hip-hop, so I absorb a lot of new records from his influence. My favorite is somewhat angrier stuff like Shabazz Palace and Clipping, but I also really dig the jazzy mellow records too. Open Mike Eagle is my favorite. It’s what used to be called backpack rap, I think…no idea what the kids call it today. Anyway I really love Oddissee and the whole Mello Music Group crew. And whaddya know, he has a new album out this month called The Odd Tape. Very enjoyable laid-back, high flow rate hip-hop. Good summer music.

Last month I got The Blue Swell by Beverly from the Vinyl Me Please record club. Reverb-drenched guitarishness of the dream pop and jangly post-punk ilk. Ten solid songs on pretty, blue vinyl. I’m liking it more and more with each and every spin.

Is that your Linn Sondek? That’s a very nice (and pricey) deck.

Ha, nope. Just grabbed that pic off some blog I found on a google search. But now that I see how pricey that Linn Sondek is, I suspect the only reason that guy has his blog is to show off his Linn Sondek!

I have one of these.

My wife picked it out and gave it to me for my birthday a few years back… Of course, being a proud music & technology nerd ,I automatically assumed I would need to trade it in for a different turntable AFTER I DID MY IMPORTANT RESEARCH. But then I discovered she actually made a good choice. (I still get credit for marrying that.)

Personally, I’m not fussy either way. Hip-hop sounds like it’s a theme, but eclectic is also a theme and one we normally do rather well.

Ya, dealer’s choice!

Ok, opted for indie.

Palehound, a band that Courtney Barnett recently called “really cool”, buck the recent trend of artists moving out of MA as they try to make it by moving to either NY or LA i.e. Guerilla Toss, Dirty Dishes, and now Potty Mouth :( Palehound’s Ellen Kempner on the other hand recently relocated to the Boston area. Friend and one time roommate Speedy Ortiz’s Sadie Dupuis, you can definitely hear a bit shared influences in the music.

Alternative hip-hop choice would have been Michael Christmas.

Added the first full length album from a band I found off Spotify’s Discover playlist: Knee High Fox’s Obey the Cross. They’ve apparently toured with Marilyn Manson, and their aesthetics certainly seem similar, but I really like the range of sounds on display here, sometimes shifting multiple gears inside a single track. I particularly love Valentine and Lolita, and Bangover has a certain raw headbanging appeal.

Thank you whoever reset the list, I was away and without my Spotify access.

I’ve added a bit of Treasure for you all. Not that kind.

Formed in Lowell, MA Astronoid self describe themselves as dream thrash. Musically reminiscent of Deafhaven with occasional Helloween guitar riffs, on their full length debut Air they differentiate themselves with airy dream pop/shoegaze vocals shunning the screaming and shouting of so many other metal acts.

Hey guys, long time no read. I’ve finally finished residency and am catching up on life, like music and stuff, and have found some great stuff in my wanderings, This month I’ll add the phenomenal 'Blisters in my Heart" from Martha, who hail from Pity Me, England - is that the best hometown for a band or what? Anyway, they are a power-pop quartet who have been making music for about 4 years now. They take the tunes in different directions, but you can hear Big Star, the Replacements (the last song is all lyrics from their tunes), and 70’s Cheap Trick in there, which is freaking great in my book. Wonderful summertime music. Hope you like them.