Bitches Brewin': a monthly forum mix-tape

I’d like to participate in this. Do you need to add me to the collaborative list or do I just need the link?

Check out No Ditching if you haven’t, they are Naomi Griffin’s other band, who I prefer over Martha.

Thanks for the rec! I like what I hear from No Ditching so far.

I do think this new Martha offering shows a nice progression from courting strong, or rather, it fits into my musical taste and lyrical style better at least ;)

No invite needed, Clay. Just toss something into the playlist and season to taste.

Charmtrap and I got lost in the forum upgrade… loving his Weird Dreams album so much, I still haven’t listened to my album by The Gotobeds.

Yeah that’s not cool. Here’s our posts quoted from the old forum:

[quote=charmtrap]Kirian appears to be running late, so I’ll do it…Here’s June: https://open.spotify.com/user/charmt...LOvXNwkjkG0iAs

Speaking of which, really liked Beverly a lot, Palehound was cool, fun
hearing the Grifters again…Ocean Wisdom didn’t do a ton for me, but
boy that guy can spit.

This month I’m adding the new album by Weird Dreams “Luxury Alone”.
Pretty sure some people here are fans already, but this one’s pretty
different, a little more experimental from their last album. Haven’t
decided yet which approach I like better, but I definitely like this.

http://upcomingvinyl.com/pics/covers/w/weird-dreams-luxury-alone-tn.jpg[/quote]

[quote=rrmorton]Nice! Didn’t realize the new Weird Dreams had come out.

I’m adding the new one from The Gotobeds. Their debut, Poor People Are
Revolting, was my favorite album of 2014 but I haven’t heard the new one
yet. Let’s find out if Blood // Sugar // Secs // Traffic is any good
together, shall we??[/quote]

I’m really enjoying The Gotobeds. Thanks!

BTW, does anyone else hear ‘That’s when I reach for my revolver’ when listening to the first gotobeds tune?

Thanks! I’ll do just that.

And just to present the other side of the debate, I don’t like it at all. They don’t seem to bring anything to the table that isn’t just the sum of their influences. That note-for-note Pavement copy is where I gave up.

Cat’s Eyes, OTOH, improved my mood immediately.

No idea how I missed the Weird Dreams new one.

I’m just going to be blissing off that for a while. First listen was amazing.

But it’s so much louder and more energetic than Pavement would have done it, which I appreciate. Not the best song on the album, but when you like so many of the bands influences, it’s like getting a new song or two from each of them. I don’t mind a couple of new mission of burma or pavement tunes, but I can understand where you’re coming from. Weird dreams and cats eyes are good listens, but not doing for me the same way the gotobeds are. Plenty of good music out there for everyone’s tastes and moods :)

Glad you like it, Banzai! But I know where charm’s coming from too. I’m weirdly reluctant to listen to the new album since I enjoyed their last one so thoroughly. I mean, how could you not…

I think you’ll like it. A lot. It’s not like they went with a new sound or anything since 2014. It’s still noisy, drunken energy full tilt and I love it the same way I love Twin Peaks. Which is a whole lot.

:)

This also, this is great.

I certainly don’t ever mean to step on anyone’s good time in these threads…I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I just can’t overlook what I see as copyism. For me, unfortunately, there is a line in my head between ‘influenced by’ and ‘tribute band’ and The Gotobeds cross it.

Yep, I’ve decided I love it. I was actually feeling myself perceptibly relax while listening to it this morning.

Glad you’re enjoying it Trigg. Man it’s been a long time since we knocked Alb heads together. I;ve had the second song stuck in my head all day ‘when it raaaaaaaaaaains, man it really f******g pours’ Such a great line and hook.

I’ve been in the mood for downbeat/acoustic, so I added Quiet Is The New Loud by Kings of Convenience.

Great choice! I haven’t heard that in ages. Poor, lonely album is just gathering dust on my office CD shelf while I’ve been spending all my time with vinyl in the basement.

They’re great in concert, by the way, in case you ever get the chance to see them.

Okay, this month, something very different.

Witness: http://thequietus.com/articles/20469-shxcxchcxsh-ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss-album-review

Looking forward to hearing that, Kirian! The title alone is certainly intriguing.

This month, I’m adding gorgeous new pop-psych album 666 by local Oakland outfit Sugar Candy Mountain. This has been rocking me to sleep every night for the last week.