Bitches Brewin': a monthly forum mix-tape

THAT WAS AWESOME

I hope this month is also.
I’ve a vague feeling I’ve added this one before so shout if you think so. I have… candidates.

I am always down for some Ex Hex! Great add.

I added the Leisure Society’s new one. It is their best album, and I do love it so. They’re Ray Davies’ and Brian Eno’s favorite band, so that should count for something!

I still haven’t listened to that! I got the record in the mail a while back but now I’m waiting to listen to it until my summer vacation starts two weeks from tomorrow. Just saving it for the right moment. I’m weird like that.

I’ve added Serenitatum by Visible Cloaks, Yoshio Ojima and Satsuki Shibano. Beautiful ambient sounds that I keep returning to again and again.

Read an interview today with Nick Hemming where he mentioned that he knew that his relationship with bandmate Helen Whitaker was over, and that he’d probably have to leave the home they shared as roommates. And he stole away some time just days before it all came apart to record the vocals to the title track, “Arrivals and Departures” in the studio space in the house because he thought that was important to capture the mood of song for an album that wouldn’t be finished for 3 1/2 years.

That’s… so sad. But way to have an artist’s foresight, Nick!

Seems I may have picked an odd record to get my summer party started.

I’m gonna put up Black To Comm’s recent album Seven Horses For Seven Kings.

Ambient, I guess, but not what you’d call relaxing. It’s like a full album made up mostly of horror movie soundtrack crescendos. It rarely lets up for more than a few seconds, not that I’d want it to. It’s not just random collections of sound though…there’s real musicality here. I dig it.

That was quite varied! Good stuff.

Here’s last month, now go, start the summer!

The arrival of a copy Stereolab’s Transient Random Noise-Bursts reissue and remembering what a righteous blast of anger and sound that album is has got me going back over Tim Gane’s more recent peripatations around vintage synth sounds as Cavern of Anti-Matter. Specifically their last record (one presumes, with the resurgence of activity of Stereolab) Hormone Lemonade. It seems it might have gotten a little lost in the shuffle, which is too bad because it’s pretty excellent in it’s own right.

Cluster and Neu! and Kraftwerk, ja, but also some Detroit techno and freestyle touches and not a drop of French pop in sight. It’s all pretty goddamn cool sounding, which you’ll expect.

Cool pick! Those new reissues have had me spinning some old Stereolab lately. Should be fun to check out Tim’s cavern.

That Laurence Pike is intriguing to my ears as well.

I’ve added the new album from Boogarins! Their psychedelic rock stylings are a bit looser and more noodly on this fourth outing and I’ve really been digging it. Especially the final track, Passeio.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7qNULOEU3heSxOEhsdwmvg?si=-rXmz_K1S6e3MY6qDaJbbA IS LAST MONTH

NOW THIS MONTH
MY WORD

Great stuff last month!

This has been accompanying me on my phone the past few days: Flofilz’s new album Transit. There’s probably a name for this kind of music, but lo-fi jazzy trip-hop is as close as I can get.

This is soooo Nightmares on Wax-y. I LOVE IT! Thanks.

I’ve added the new one from Mega Bog called Dolphine. It’s her fifth album and even though she’s just as idiosyncratic as ever, for some reason this one is more listenable and inviting. I’ve been digging it, anyway!

Boy this has quickly become heavy rotation over at my place. Hard to compare precisely, but it’s a bit like if Vini Reilly, Alison Statton and Kristin Hersh decided to try and make a psychedelic jazz album. I dunno, but it’s excellent.

LOL, not bad at all. It’s like trying to describe color to a blind person… you get points just for the effort and more points for coming kinda close! :D

Lovely stuff chaps!

I’ve reset the list as it’s August. Can’t quite put together last month’s on my phone but remind me and I’ll put it together.

Adding a summery and pleasant-sounding guitar-pop album from some ex-Dentists, who’ve formed and re-formed with all of the members between a half-dozen bands with a dozen different names over the last 15 years. The current incarnation is called The Treasures of Mexico, with a new album called “Everything Sparks Joy”, made up of Bob Dentist and Mark Dentist but that couldn’t possibly matter less. It’s a damn catchy album, though.

Added the debut album from Boston synth outfit Trlogy that dropped last year.

Liking these picks! Better late than never, I’m sprinkling some Sault in our brew.

Somehow I missed this when you posted it earlier in the month, but GODDAMN I LOVE THAT FIRST DENTISTS ALBUM.

Won’t get a chance to listen until tomorrow while working, but cannot wait!

Happy 50th! The original Bitches Brew was recorded Aug 19-21, 1969