BitTorrent - Recource hog?

What happens if you don’t share at least 100%? I get the warning from Azureus any time I close something early. Is it just bad karma, or is it actually doing something negative to me?

If you close the torrent before you’ve uploaded back your fair share, it sends your IP address and the name of the file you downloaded to the RIAA, the MPAA, and the Headless Veterans Society.

So I have nothing to worry about huh, I’ll just keep closing right away then.

sites/trackers that monitor such things typically ban asshats that do that sort of thing, thankfully.

unfortunately, there’s always new trackers that pop up that don’t monitor or care or won’t be there next week anyway, so people like you end up sliding through the cracks.

The only places I don’t seed are with risky trackers like those found on Suprnova links.

I always feel guilty about it (obviously not enough for me to change my ways), but I’d rather minimize my risk of getting a notice by the RIAA/MPAA as is becoming more common with larger sites like that. Of course, this obviously doesn’t scare me enough to change my ways.

Duality is a leecher. Let me know what your IP is so I can ban your client, mmkay? ;)

Depends on the site.

Most of the places I get torrents from I maintain a minimum of 1:1. Yah know, the places where I clearly cannot get away with it. ;) But because of the legal concerns involved with public/large torrent sites like Suprnova, I rarely actually use them.