Bizarre, Forgotten, 80's Mainstream Movies

These were two of my favorite movies as a kid. Flight of the Navigator is on Youtube (apparently it’s a copyright that Disney doesn’t feel compelled to vigorously defend), and yeah, it still holds up pretty well. The soundtrack is hilariously 80s, but in a good, nostalgia invoking kind of way.

So…no Vibes?

Right? I just got it on DVD for like, a dollar from Amazon, and my girlfriend and I watched it and had a great time. She thought the music was ATROCIOUS, but I laughed my ass off at it.

Sands is perfect in this film since totally being unable to act actually makes him better in this role. However, Richard E. Grant is the one who makes this movie … work, in some way. He is just as totally awesome here as he was in the not-very-forgotten classic Whitnail & I. I still, from time, say “You search hither and I’ll search thither!” just because I want to.

Ah, a Satan worshiper escapes execution in Boston, 1691 and is transported (along with Grants witch-hunter) to Malibu, 1989. And meets Lori Singer.

Oh, cripes. That rule was specified right there in the thread title. And reiterated in the OP.

Brian and anyone else are obviously free to do whatever they want, but I find these types of lists a lot more fun when there are some constraints that prevent it from becoming just a braindump of the best X of Y.

Shakes The Clown

Who could forget “The Sword and the Sorceror” with that goofy 3-bladed sword that shot blades?

Yeah, but the crucifixion/dinner scene in The Sword and the Sorcerer is pure awesome.

Jack’s Back. James Spader in a great dual role with a series of murders relating to the anniversary of Jack The Ripper. It’s not what you think, more of a mystery than a slasher, though the audience knows whodunit from the first opening scenes.

Yes, exactly. Vibes. Cindy Lauper and Jeff Goldblum.
How about this one, The The Manhattan Project which “starred” Christopher Collet who went to star as…Gary Lee in Prayer Of The Rollerboys.

[QUOTE=Zylon;2838558
See also Night of the Comet, My Science Project, and My Demon Lover.

Man, even when they suck, 80s movies are awesome.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Totally! Loved that movie!

So would The Philadelphia Experiment be more apt for this regulated thread? ;)

Speaking of Michael Paré, how about this? Or this?

Streets of Fire is hardly forgotten. It was, in fact, awesome. I think.

Young Diane Lane? Sledgehammer fights? Rick Moranis? Willem Dafoe? What’s not to love?

I love the soundtrack for Eddie and the Cruisers, and the movie isn’t too bad either.

But it really is forgotten right? I mean, much that came from the 80’s gets maligned or marginalized. and fails to make “top” lists. Personally, I had forgotten about Streets Of Fire and Eddie And The Cruisers.

Streets of Fire even had an HD-DVD reissue!

Never even heard of Streets of Fire, but I LOVED Eddie and the Cruisers.

Only reason I’ve heard of Streets of Fire is because Jim Steinman wrote some (all?) of the songs, which he later recycled into Dance of the Vampires.

Man, Michael Pare, what a career…string of three popular (or at least, I think they were) movies in two years (Eddie and the Cruisers, Streets of Fire, and Philadelphia Experiment) followed by pretty much nothing, unless you count my favorite sci-fi movie no one has ever watched but me, Moon 44 (1990).

That said, Willem Dafoe’s character and the whole setting was awesome: